What filter combination?

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
Buying a 125 Gallon tank that comes with 2 Magnum 350 Canister Filters. I currently have 1 AC110 and 1 SunSun 304B. Going to do a Tropheus tank so will be stocking heavily. I was originally going to keep both the 350s and use my 110 with it but not sure if the 350s could keep a heavily stocked tank - course I've never had a Magnum 350 before so for all I know they could actually be rather good if used properly.

Question is, what 3 filter combination should I go with? I can, if need be, buy another AC110 or SunSun 304B if it would be a significant improvement over 2 x 350s + 110 or 2 x 350s + 304B.

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
What about a 350, 110 and 304b? One of each and you have everything already. Plus, you can see if the 350 is any good and upgrade if need be.

thacarter546

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Midwest
The 350 is versatile. It can be set up several ways and performs mediocre at all but water polishing I can't say I am fond of any of the options listed. Of the options I would smash the aquaclear against a wall and use the three canisters.

The mag350s I would order the carbon container for if you don't have it already. Fill it with seachem denitrate for bio. And run the blue bonded sleeves for mech. These need cleaned fairly frequently.

Personally I would sell one of the mag 350s and set the other up as a diatom for weekly polishing and order a larger canister suited to the task.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
The 350 is versatile. It can be set up several ways and performs mediocre at all but water polishing I can't say I am fond of any of the options listed. Of the options I would smash the aquaclear against a wall and use the three canisters.

The mag350s I would order the carbon container for if you don't have it already. Fill it with seachem denitrate for bio. And run the blue bonded sleeves for mech. These need cleaned fairly frequently.

Personally I would sell one of the mag 350s and set the other up as a diatom for weekly polishing and order a larger canister suited to the task.
Before you go smashing any AquaClear 110s against the wall, let me know. I'll give you a few bucks for them. Best aquarium filter ever made. Three of them would provide enough filtration for a 125 gallon heavily stocked tropheus tank.

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
I never owned a Magnum 350 canister, but I know those that do love the things. It sounds like you're in excellent shape as is. I'm all for variety of filtration in the event you have one fail. I'd run one or both of the Magnum 350's, the AC110 and the Sunsun canister. Rely on that AC110 to do the majority of your mechanical filtration so you don't have to clean the canisters often.

BTW, another Sunsun owner here. I've has my $39 Sunsun 302 going for almost 4yrs now on my 55g, where I run the 302 and an AC70.

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
Thanks for the responses.

I went ahead and ordered another 304B. SunSun works great for filtering smaller tanks, great bang for your buck unit. So I'll be running 2 of the 304Bs and the 110 keeping one 350 for water polishing and the other for backup if I'm ever in dire need.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Before you go smashing any AquaClear 110s against the wall, let me know. I'll give you a few bucks for them. Best aquarium filter ever made. Three of them would provide enough filtration for a 125 gallon heavily stocked tropheus tank.

+1

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
There is nothing rong with using those magnums. Just put bio media in the carbon container, and use the rite size sleeves. Clean the sleeves when needed, which is ALWAYS easy to tell on this filter as it's a clear container, plus the flow will drop significantly(probably once a month to 6 weeks maybe 8). I used them the firt 10 years I was in the hobby, and still a 1 of my old ones and 2 new ones unopened in boxes.

Use the Aquaclear in the center of the tank as bio (sponges and biomax or whatever you have) and you will be FINE. Also if you can also throw the 304B on there as well, make it LONG term bio, and you probably wont have to touch it for 3-6 months (I get 6 out of mine but I pre-filter it heavily)

You've got ALL the filtration you need(once that aquaclear and 304 B are cycled) you just clean the magnums mechanical sleeve as needed, plus you can have bio in that carbon container as well. You will also have AWESOME FLOW, and might even need to cut it back a little, which is easy if you have magnum valves.

Enjoy!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store