Ehiem 2262 headaches

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
I have had an Ehiem 2262 for several years and it is by far one of the best filters I've used as far as canisters go. However I haven't been able to get it to prime and actually pump from my last cleaning. I have used all of the typical methods I've used in the past and even took the lid/pump off, sat that in a bathtub to make sure the pump wasn't failing and I was able to get it to prime there and send what seemed to be the normal water flow out of the top.

Any ideas on why this is being such a pain in the butt compared to every other time? I have been messing with it for a week and the reason I took it down for filter maintenance was due to a noticeably low water flow.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I prime mine via suction from the tank. If you suck on the outlet (return from the pump) with the intakes inside the water column it will backfill the can. If this is not working then you have air being allowed into your system somehow and needs to be addressed.

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
I've used that method, I've used the outlet of a FX5 to help flow water into the inlet. I've submerged the piping in the tank to make sure there is no gap and filled the canister with the lid on through the outlet tube to eliminate the air gaps.

Usually works, I clean it probably every 2-3 months for 4 years and have never had this problem. Any ideas where the air could be getting stuck in the system to cause this? I have to admit I haven't inspected the hoses to see if I can see any air in the line while it is trying to prime.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Have you cleaned the hoses and the pump recently?

For me, forgetting to drain all the water out of the output hose before priming the filter is usually the culprit and it will fix the problem.

Have you changed the type or amount of filter media you have been using such as adding fine media such as floss or batting?

Have you changed the way the hoses are routed or added any inline equipment?

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
I have the same filter and start it flowing with a shop-vac.

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
After I clean my 3 2262's I prime by just turning the suction side of the valve open then let all the air out. Once water rush into the pressure side hose I close it and attach the double tap together. I than turn on the pump and reopen the valve. I wait for 20 seconds or so let the pump run and shake the filter so all the trap air inside the filter gets all out.

thacarter546

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Midwest
While I was re plumbing the whole thing heater day I had a heck of a time priming it. Best way I found was opening the intake valve and holding the output side super low into a gallon bucket and allowing a couple gallons to run through.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Are the quick connect valves open?
I know, silly, but I happens....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com