rubbermaid tub sump

Richemmers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2012
Clinton township.mi
I have a 100 gallon rubbermaid tub for my sump right now as its a saltwater tank. Well I'm switching back to freshwater and want to use the tub as my sump.

So other then making a bio-tower or using the 5 gallon bucket with bio balls, what else could I do/use?

I want crazy good filtration so I can have a huge bio load

Its a 180 gallon tank and the tub is 100 gallons

Thanks

Rich

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
180 with a 6 drawer tower will do just fine. Submerge the last drawer with ceramic rings incase of a power outage while your not home that way you have bb to help you in the worst case of complete drying of the drip tower. That's all I do for one of my tanks mind you mine is bio home in the bottom drawer.
For my media in the trickle section is all just plastic pot scrubbies which if you go that route, selling your salt water skimmer and rock will more then pay for setting up the sump

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
180 with a 6 drawer tower will do just fine. Submerge the last drawer with ceramic rings incase of a power outage while your not home that way you have bb to help you in the worst case of complete drying of the drip tower. That's all I do for one of my tanks mind you mine is bio home in the bottom drawer.
For my media in the trickle section is all just plastic pot scrubbies which if you go that route, selling your salt water skimmer and rock will more then pay for setting up the sump

millerkid519 millerkid519 thanks for the tip on ceramic rings.:)

Richemmers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2012
Clinton township.mi
Because of the way my basement is, I only have the height allowance for a 3 drawer bio tower

So with that being said I want to add something along with the tower to add extra filtration. I plan on running a reactor with carbon, and was thinking of putting ceramic media in the bottom of the sump?

Obvious weekly water changes will be done.

Im doing a all male African cichlid tank or a new world cichlid tank.

Want the color of the africans but the size of the new world

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
if you want to use a reactor id rather use a purigen reactor rather than
carbon. also maybe add a chamber for a k1? these work very well.
dont forget to put filter socks on the drains.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Because of the way my basement is, I only have the height allowance for a 3 drawer bio tower

So with that being said I want to add something along with the tower to add extra filtration. I plan on running a reactor with carbon, and was thinking of putting ceramic media in the bottom of the sump?

Obvious weekly water changes will be done.

Im doing a all male African cichlid tank or a new world cichlid tank.

Want the color of the africans but the size of the new world
Place a Fluval 110 in opposite corner.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store