Keeping fish and being Mathematically challenged

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Am I the only person on here that is frustrated by the fact that they are mathematically challenged and sometimes have a bit of trouble figuring out what the hell is going on when it comes to the world of keeping fish
*Well, sometime it is.:p
*Back in the day there is no internet for any fish information, no test kit solution, all you can do is your judgement by look and monitor your fish activities. When a mistake took place all I have to do is remembered and try different approach to correct it.
*Nowaday, you can get "smarter" in matter of minutes, hours if you really wanted to learn new thing with any devices connected to the internet.

Lady Sphinx

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
South Africa, Johannesburg
*Well, sometime it is.:p
*Back in the day there is no internet for any fish information, no test kit solution, all you can do is your judgement by look and monitor your fish activities. When a mistake took place all I have to do is remembered and try different approach to correct it.
*Nowaday, you can get "smarter" in matter of minutes, hours if you really wanted to learn new thing with any devices connected to the internet.
So true but all these "simple" formulas sometimes make my head spin. I seriously sucked at maths even in school. I think I still lean into the old school method.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Most fish math, like "cubic inch per squared gallon per foot", is usually not the best advice.
If that's what you're talking about.

Actually, I'll say all the stuff is not the best advice haha.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
So true but all these "simple" formulas sometimes make my head spin. I seriously sucked at maths even in school. I think I still lean into the old school method.
What formulas are u refering to?
yea, seriously.....that was a very generalized topic - can you go a little more into depth w/ that and explain what you mean? I have a feeling you might be making something more complicated than it really is

Lady Sphinx

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
South Africa, Johannesburg
Ok , you have your:
Calculating Sump Volume
Algae Scrubber Sizing
Aquarium Lighting Calculations
Flow rate calculations
Weir flow calculations
Return pump calculations
Calculating overflow teeth
Drip System Water change rates

I think I got most of them might have missed one or two

I know most of these aren't needed to keep a aquarium going but if a person want to add certain systems of setting you need to do certain calculations to make it work and sadly I just suck at it.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Ok , you have your:
Calculating Sump Volume
Algae Scrubber Sizing
Aquarium Lighting Calculations
Flow rate calculations
Weir flow calculations
Return pump calculations
Calculating overflow teeth
Drip System Water change rates

I think I got most of them might have missed one or two

I know most of these aren't needed to keep a aquarium going but if a person want to add certain systems of setting you need to do certain calculations to make it work and sadly I just suck at it.

There are plent of charts for flow rate

Calculating Sump Volume- people misunderstand this al the time... u can run a 1000 gallon tank with a 50 gallon sump easily.... you only need a sump big enough to hold ur bio media to suport the stock in a freshwatwr tank....as long as water chabges are done on check

Algae Scrubber Sizing - ? Theres no certain size required

Aquarium Lighting Calculations- no calculations needed for unplanted tanks .....for planted tanks u dont need much for low light

Flow rate calculations- there are easy charts for this
Weir flow calculations

Return pump calculations- 5-10x depending on stock

Calculating overflow teeth- get strainers easier to determine

Drip System Water change rates- there are also self calculators that determine how much of the water is being changed per week.... depending on stock usually 1/5 per tank size drip per day

It makes it easier if you add bigger pvc for gravity drains to help eliminate a ton of problems

Hope i helped

Reactions: Lady Sphinx

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I just use math for flowrates right now. You can make the hobby as complex as you like, for most fish i dont worry too much about the water as long as it is clean.

Reactions: Lady Sphinx
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store