Stingray pond and probability of getting stung when cleaning pond

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
Just curious, if you have Stingrays in your pond and you need to clean the inside of pond. is there a big chance the stingray will be startled and sting you?
i usually go into the pond to clean the bottom drain which gets clogged by dry leaves,
was thinking if it would be a danger to add stingrray to my pond.

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
There is always a chance, but I would say it's fairly unlikely. Unless you stepped on the ray. You could always catch the ray and clip the barb carefully before hand if you are worried. If it were me I would just have someone outside the pond be a spotter for me keeping an eye on the ray at all times. They would let me know of where the ray is when I moved around.

I'm sure there are plenty of members on here who have gotten in their ponds with rays with no issues...

Reactions: MHDevelopments

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
Clipping the barb is not a long term solution as they grow back. If you step on a ray you'll get nailed, pretty sure of that. If you clear a path ahead of you with a stick, I think they'll move away. I would rather get a net with a long handle, or get one of those pond vacuum cleaners.

Reactions: CANAMONSTER

fisjjjj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2016
Bottom of a pond
Potamotrygon are pretty friendly and have short tails, if you just put a few pieces of food away from your path you should be fine, or push them away slowly and gently if they do come

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store