Which knifefish do yal suggest?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Hey all,

So I'm in the process of figuring out what to do with my 310 gallon NA native inhabitants, and once they are properly moved somewhere else, I will be converting this tank into an Asian/South American tank. So far my list is going to be:

CL's-I have 7 currently, probably get another 6 or 7 to add to the school.

Fire eel-looking to grow one out so it will be a smaller one I purchase.

Now, onto the "up in the air" decisions on the South American fish:

A lima shovelnose-I think they are pretty awesome looking and should fit in the tank for life if 18" is all the bigger they get roughly. the tank is 3 feet wide

A knifefish-now heres the question of the post...are CK's far too aggressive for this semi peaceful setup? Would my CL's take a beating from this guy if I where to put him in? (EDIT I know technically the CK is from Asia as well...) OR would a BGK be a much better option?

Thanks folks

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I will also throw the EDIT out there that yes I'm aware the CK can get too big for this aquarium, I would probably have little issue moving a CK of that size though, people often ask for larger specimens around here.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey all,

So I'm in the process of figuring out what to do with my 310 gallon NA native inhabitants, and once they are properly moved somewhere else, I will be converting this tank into an Asian/South American tank. So far my list is going to be:

CL's-I have 7 currently, probably get another 6 or 7 to add to the school.

Fire eel-looking to grow one out so it will be a smaller one I purchase.

Now, onto the "up in the air" decisions on the South American fish:

A lima shovelnose-I think they are pretty awesome looking and should fit in the tank for life if 18" is all the bigger they get roughly. the tank is 3 feet wide

A knifefish-now heres the question of the post...are CK's far too aggressive for this semi peaceful setup? Would my CL's take a beating from this guy if I where to put him in? (EDIT I know technically the CK is from Asia as well...) OR would a BGK be a much better option?

Thanks folks

CK have huge mouths, would only add CK's if CL are large.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
CK have huge mouths, would only add CK's if CL are large.
that's what I figured lol but I thought I'd ask, 4 of the CL's are footballs, but the other 3 would be questionable after probably a year of growth from the CK. Thanks for the input!

Reactions: tlindsey

Renegade Aquatics

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2016
Everett, WA
Papyrocranus afer is a pretty cool knife fish, but they can be pretty aggressive from what I hear. so I think a Ghost knife would probably be your best bet

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Papyrocranus afer is a pretty cool knife fish, but they can be pretty aggressive from what I hear. so I think a Ghost knife would probably be your best bet
yup that's what I was thinking as well, I love the way they look and act as well but I figured I'd throw this out and see what if any experiences people had with CK's and tank mates

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
another side note, if you guys have any other species to suggest for the tank I'm all ears, I'm a big fan of understocking a tank but I feel I'll have room for a few more fish.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I think a BGK is best, orientated towards smaller food items, and less aggressive.

What other sorta fish would you be looking at?

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I think a BGK is best, orientated towards smaller food items, and less aggressive.

What other sorta fish would you be looking at?
ya I think at this point a bgk is my choice.

I don't know really, I'm open to all suggestions. I'm going to consolidate my 150 African/Asian tank into this one, and probably sell off my African fish (odoe pike, bush fish, polys)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store