125 stocking

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I like the salvini suggestion, beautiful fish. thanks! Looks like the tetras eat plants. Im thinking with this new SA direction, that i'd add some live plants to the tank
Do any of the fish ive mentioned eat live plants? other than the tetras?
The fish mentioned are from Central America, not South America, and you would have to do potted plants or those types that have the rhizomes exposed like anubias. I doubt the tetras will touch the anubias. Be careful with Centrals because they can produce hybrid fish, and take over most of the tank in order to breed.

Reactions: dan518

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I like the salvini suggestion, beautiful fish. thanks! Looks like the tetras eat plants. Im thinking with this new SA direction, that i'd add some live plants to the tank
Do any of the fish ive mentioned eat live plants? other than the tetras?
Out of all of the fish you have mentioned, the only ones that are SA are Oscar, green terror, and Severum.
Any dither too small would would be eaten by the oscar or GT. The oscar would destroy live plants, but not eat them.

Reactions: Imsobored152

Imsobored152

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Palm Bay, Fl
well, the wife doesnt like the oscar, so that may be out. But that just leaves room for other fish, maybe one that wont destroy plans

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
well, the wife doesnt like the oscar, so that may be out. But that just leaves room for other fish, maybe one that wont destroy plans
the fish you mentioned are chill enough to work together ina tank, you take a step up and you might end up w/ something that will kill every thing. Look into Aggression ratings.......there are 5 levels of Aggressive
#5 - Mildly Aggressive
#4 - Aggressive
#3 - Very Aggressive
#2 - Highly Aggressive
#1 - EXTREMELY Aggressive

Find out what each of the fish you want is rated, then try and keep the tank limited to only fish rated in one of those brackets, while considering each fish can vary based on individuality

I can try to tell you the ratings for each fish if you have a question, but I don't remember all of them.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
How small can I go and still mosly likely not be eaten by the big guys? 6"?
it depends on the fish's mouth size and aggression levels.....I've seen pairs of Convicts only 3-4" fend of full grown Oscars and male Green Terrors, and I always wondered why they don't just SWALLOW them, but I guess the little guys are just so damn nasty, the bigger fish are like "Whoa, this guy's crazy, it's just not worth my effort". - I guess

Never could figure out why the bigger fish don't just slurp them up, but the world of cichlids can be very weird sometimes

Reactions: Jason_S

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
it depends on the fish's mouth size and aggression levels.....I've seen pairs of Convicts only 3-4" fend of full grown Oscars and male Green Terrors, and I always wondered why they don't just SWALLOW them, but I guess the little guys are just so damn nasty, the bigger fish are like "Whoa, this guy's crazy, it's just not worth my effort". - I guess

Never could figure out why the bigger fish don't just slurp them up, but the world of cichlids can be very weird sometimes
It can happen ...not my fish

Reactions: Frank Castle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store