Picking up a tirignus

Keemofish4ever

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2015
The Car
Sorry. I didn't want to come across as someone stating common knowledge. I simply don't know your level and experience.
I'dk I guess I'm doubting myself I had to large aquariums before one with cichlids and the other with predator fish like aro, pike, gar, eels, n so on n I never had a problem now I got this new tank setup and I'm getting all these wierd readings I'm just trippen out because I thought I knew what I was doing and maybe I don't =/
But simply I belive my tank doesn't have enough live bacteria in it right now to keep my tank where it should be...

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
So you knew what I said. Great.

Keep chipping away at it, if you will. The sweetest fruit is the one we fight the hardest for. Otherwise it tends to quickly get bland.

You must be very lucky, having had two major tanks and never having had problems ;)

Keemofish4ever

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2015
The Car
So you knew what I said. Great.

Keep chipping away at it, if you will. The sweetest fruit is the one we fight the hardest for. Otherwise it tends to quickly get bland.

You must be very lucky, having had two major tanks and never having had problems ;)
Haha not with the water at least I had a kelberi peacock bass n a bicher bicher jump out the tank when I wasn't home the saddest part was my wife was home all day n didn't even notice it haha but my new tank is jump proof jus not ammonia proof yet =/ haha

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I see. Wives tend to be like that, it seems. Do you take much notice of your better half's extra-curricular activities aka hobbies?

Well with ammonia all one needs most usually is to make sure

-- that they have enough biomedia plus some
-- that the water going through the media is as highly aerated as reasonably possible
-- that there is no by pass

plus patience.

So time is likely on your side.

(PS sister thread http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/need-more-help-with-my-water-parameters.676366/ )

Last edited:

Keemofish4ever

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2015
The Car
I see. Wives tend to be like that, it seems. Do you take much notice of your better half's extra-curricular activities aka hobbies?

Well with ammonia all one needs most usually is to make sure

-- that they have enough biomedia plus some
-- that the water going through the media is as highly aerated as reasonably possible
-- that there is no by pass

plus patience.

So time is likely on your side.

(PS sister thread http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/need-more-help-with-my-water-parameters.676366/ )
LOL. This is true my wife hobby is dancing and I definitely don't focus on that as much. She actually helps alot with the tank and enjoys it..just doesn't like the fact I like the little bit more expensive fish instead of Oscar's from petsmart haha.

Yohanon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Tennessee
Haha this is true but I do have other fish in the aquarium but they are all doing great still swimming, eating, glowing in color... except a ntt he eating he jus dark as can be tho haha

I did another waterchange this moring see how it turns out... how long do would you wait to take a water test?
I like to test my water immediately before a water change and then the following day after the tank has had a chance to settle in. It is also a good idea to test about midway between changes. I do 40% water changes weekly. my parameters have been pretty stable, but my sump is big enough to filter a tank twice my size, an important consideration when you're keeping messy carnivorous fish. Also you will want your circulation pump to turn your water over about 6x per hour.

Keemofish4ever

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2015
The Car
I like to test my water immediately before a water change and then the following day after the tank has had a chance to settle in. It is also a good idea to test about midway between changes. I do 40% water changes weekly. my parameters have been pretty stable, but my sump is big enough to filter a tank twice my size, an important consideration when you're keeping messy carnivorous fish. Also you will want your circulation pump to turn your water over about 6x per hour.
Idk what kind of pump I got it came with the tank but that thing is extremely strong

I guest it's called the dolphin pump?

1477430527391613752334.jpg

Reactions: Yohanon

Yohanon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Tennessee
Idk what kind of pump I got it came with the tank but that thing is extremely strong

I guest it's called the dolphin pump?

View attachment 1210799
You have a real hoss of a pump there. My tank is 75 gallon, and my pump (submersible, in the sump) is rated for 720 gallons per hour, though I'm losing some of that due to head pressure (my sump is about 4 feet below the return on the tank) and the fact that the water is being pumped through an in-line heater before the return. That said, I still have plenty of "current" in the tank

Keemofish4ever

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2015
The Car
You have a real hoss of a pump there. My tank is 75 gallon, and my pump (submersible, in the sump) is rated for 720 gallons per hour, though I'm losing some of that due to head pressure (my sump is about 4 feet below the return on the tank) and the fact that the water is being pumped through an in-line heater before the return. That said, I still have plenty of "current" in the tank
Oh yeah nice setup ia sump is plenty gor a 75 gallon. Whay size sump? yeah this pump puts in work fersure it even automatically stops when there isn't enough water

Yohanon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Tennessee
Oh yeah nice setup ia sump is plenty gor a 75 gallon. Whay size sump? yeah this pump puts in work fersure it even automatically stops when there isn't enough water
My sump Is DIY, 19 gallon that I run about half full. It is a wet/dry type with 3 stages of mechanical filtration followed by 300 bio balls. There is an airstone in the pump section of the sump. The last time I tested my water parameters (right before a water change), my nitrates were only 5 ppm, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store