What's Your Best Cleaning Method? (Seriously, This is Gross)

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I have to side with Frank Castle Frank Castle on this. I spent a couple decades in the fish biz and don't think I'd ever recommend anything other than bleach for a cleaner or muriatic acid to get rid of lime crust. If I were to use any sort of soap or cleanser I would definitely be running carbon or purigen for a while after.

Reactions: Frank Castle

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
bar keepers friend over bleach and vinegar any day lol! but
it is what it is; to each their own... but i like bar keepers friend.
i have been using this product for over 20+ years to clean fish
tanks and not once have i had a fish or any live stock kept in
the said cleaned tank die because of this product; not one death.
also it doesn't pierce your nose like bleach does lol... and no i dont
run carbon or purigen in any of my tanks or setups only mech &
bio, more bio, some more bio and some more bio lol... srsly though
it is a great product and i recommend it to anyone and everyone
that asks me how to clean their tank and make it look like new
again. also many hobbyist have used and still use this product to
the day like i do, heck i always have a can or 2 in the house just
because i have a bad habit of impulse buying tanks with nice
foot prints im always cleaning tanks and selling them or giving
them away to my friends and what not.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I have to side with Frank Castle Frank Castle on this. I spent a couple decades in the fish biz and don't think I'd ever recommend anything other than bleach for a cleaner or muriatic acid to get rid of lime crust. If I were to use any sort of soap or cleanser I would definitely be running carbon or purigen for a while after.
That's enough of you and Frank having different opinions! lol

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Not sure if I will ever try barkeepers friend as there are some other things that have worked for me for a long time. Should I ever have a tank that does not clean up with these usual things (salt paste, vinegar solution, razor blades and bleach), then I will keep the bartenders friend in mind.

One of the benefits of being on this forum has been the new methods I read about. For example I have tried the Rid-X probiotic and I now have split sponges on my sponge filter bases. This allows a quick and simple way to seed a new tank with bb. Both were learned from members on the forum.

Have we run KK off her thread? I would like to hear more about the gross tank progress.

Yohanon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Tennessee
Hello; Not sure if I will ever try barkeepers friend as there are some other things that have worked for me for a long time. Should I ever have a tank that does not clean up with these usual things (salt paste, vinegar solution, razor blades and bleach), then I will keep the bartenders friend in mind.

One of the benefits of being on this forum has been the new methods I read about. For example I have tried the Rid-X probiotic and I now have split sponges on my sponge filter bases. This allows a quick and simple way to seed a new tank with bb. Both were learned from members on the forum.

Have we run KK off her thread? I would like to hear more about the gross tank progress.
True. I hope she has made some progress.

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
i agree i think we derailed this thread enough lol...

Kittiee Katt Kittiee Katt any updates on the tank from hell? lol

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
i agree i think we derailed this thread enough lol...

Kittiee Katt Kittiee Katt any updates on the tank from hell? lol
I think she is out of cellphone Data again lol. lets see in November :eek:

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I don't think she has posted since one of you made the post about smelling something being the same as tasting. You should be ashamed.

Wait a minute............... I think it was me. KK please come back.

Reactions: convict360

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
Not to derail further (it is actually still on topic) I have used regular dish soap. I know I know cardinal sin but if you rinse it super well any residue will be minimal. Hell you can buy homeopathic "medicine" which contain snake venom diluted with tens of thousands of gallons of water. does it contain SOME venom? Yeah probably. Does it contain enough to have any sort of effect what so ever? No.

I think it is very good to advocate not using certain cleaners because otherwise people under estimate the danger and kill fish. That being said a bit of the wrong stuff doesn't forever ruin a tank it just requires care and knowledge to overcome.

Reactions: Athletic_Amph
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store