Long time no post...

Zilch

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2016
West Palm Beach, FL
Hey all, been a while since I've been here! Lots happening in life lately including second child incoming and an unexpected surgery making things complicated.

That kind of introduces my point... Between the bills and the impact of the surgery I'm probably not going to be able to keep up the hobby :(. I had a bunch of work done on my back and I'm essentially prohibited from lifting anything of substance (this includes canisters) and my range of motion at the moment still kind of sucks.

If anyone is in south Florida (or willing to drive) and is interested in any of my collection drop me a message, I'm sure we could work out a decent deal... I haven't put up a thread in the marketplace yet since I'm mostly just popping in to let you all know I'm still alive and somewhat kicking :p

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Sorry to hear that. Life can sometimes really knock us down, but hopefully this is not a permanent thing and you will be back in the hobby again.

Reactions: FishNCash

Zilch

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2016
West Palm Beach, FL
Sorry to hear that. Life can sometimes really knock us down, but hopefully this is not a permanent thing and you will be back in the hobby again.
It's a real punch in the gut, but for a while I'm not even able to pick up my daughter (by Dr's order) and with number two coming I just can't chance hurting myself again for a hobby :(

It's all having a negative effect on my fish husbandry too and I just can't justify giving them sub standard living conditions for selfish reasons, ya know?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Hope you recover faster than expected, sucks you have to not only leave the hobby but can't interact with your kid the same

Zilch

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2016
West Palm Beach, FL
Thanks for all the encouragement. I should be back to a mostly normal functioning person in the next few months, but the risk of damaging my spine again will always be there so I'm doing my best to minimize that.

Thankfully my 2 year old daughter is pretty understanding and she asks about my "boo boo" all the time haha I might not be able to pick her up yet but she climbs up on me when I'm sitting and makes the best of the situation :)

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Hope you heal faster bro, my mom had a similar spinal surgery and when she healed it wasnt the same as before(not to scare you) she have limitation on her movements and weight to carry.
Hope you will be back to the hobby too:)

Zilch

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2016
West Palm Beach, FL
Hope you heal faster bro, my mom had a similar spinal surgery and when she healed it wasnt the same as before(not to scare you) she have limitation on her movements and weight to carry.
Hope you will be back to the hobby too:)
Yikes! I'm thankfully healing well, and most of this stuff SHOULD be temporary, but for the sake of my family I want to play it safe for a good while- the last thing I want to do is have the problem escalate and require another surgery.

Very scary though, I had gotten an MRI which showed the damage and my general practitioner referred me to a pain management doc and a neurosurgeon, both of the doctors I was referred to wouldn't see me for over a month. Unfortunately by the time my appointment with the pain management doc rolled around I was having trouble even standing, my left leg and foot were in horrendous pain- I even went in for an epidural steroid injection without anesthesia just to get it done. A few days later the problem had only gotten worse, I was completely bedridden, couldn't stand at all and had to army crawl around the house if I needed to get somewhere. My wife found a neurosurgeon in our network on a Friday, and he agreed to check my MRI out during his lunch break. She got a callback like 15 minutes after the MRI was dropped off at his office telling her to get me to the ER immediately and that they'd be performing surgery Saturday AM. After the surgery I immediately felt better, though I've got some sensation loss in my left foot, it seems to bet getting gradually better. Thankfully much of the pain is gone now- I'm optimistic that with patience and time I should be back to normal, but after that ordeal I really don't want to chance a relapse... you just never think about this stuff until you completely lose the ability to move parts of your body... totally scary stuff that I wouldn't wish on anyone D:

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Yikes! I'm thankfully healing well, and most of this stuff SHOULD be temporary, but for the sake of my family I want to play it safe for a good while- the last thing I want to do is have the problem escalate and require another surgery.

Very scary though, I had gotten an MRI which showed the damage and my general practitioner referred me to a pain management doc and a neurosurgeon, both of the doctors I was referred to wouldn't see me for over a month. Unfortunately by the time my appointment with the pain management doc rolled around I was having trouble even standing, my left leg and foot were in horrendous pain- I even went in for an epidural steroid injection without anesthesia just to get it done. A few days later the problem had only gotten worse, I was completely bedridden, couldn't stand at all and had to army crawl around the house if I needed to get somewhere. My wife found a neurosurgeon in our network on a Friday, and he agreed to check my MRI out during his lunch break. She got a callback like 15 minutes after the MRI was dropped off at his office telling her to get me to the ER immediately and that they'd be performing surgery Saturday AM. After the surgery I immediately felt better, though I've got some sensation loss in my left foot, it seems to bet getting gradually better. Thankfully much of the pain is gone now- I'm optimistic that with patience and time I should be back to normal, but after that ordeal I really don't want to chance a relapse... you just never think about this stuff until you completely lose the ability to move parts of your body... totally scary stuff that I wouldn't wish on anyone D:
Thats some scary stuff bro, just take your time healing, fish will be always around and we here for you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store