What is this on the surface of my tank water?

SwissTrees

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Ohio
So about a month ago I went through a mini cycle. Well, id call it more bite size if that make sense. I accidentally washed some of my filter media off in the sink :confused:

Anyways, I have been trying to do more frequent WC's and what not to get it back in shape as I started to get a little white bacteria bloom in the water. I also added 2 live plants about 2 weeks ago to help with keeping ammonia down.

Recently I just noticed this "dust like" stuff on the surface of the water (see pics)
It wasn't there when I first got the white cloudy water from the bloom. Its just popped up in the past day or two.
Its not green so I wouldn't think its algae forming from the plants? Any ideas?

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
It could be a lot of things. Do any of your filter returns agitate the surface of the water? I've found that when I don't make an effort to break the surface tension of the water, I quickly get an oilly film from the foods I feed. That's why I have the returns from my filters either aimed up, or positioned at or above the water line.

SwissTrees

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Ohio
Yeah its a spray bar and it just below the surface and pointing up. Thats basically how I have always have it so I the surface is agitated. What ever this stuff is it just seems to swirl around the water with the agitation.

Atfownz

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
Here
Looks like the bacteria bloom has got away completely imo. Could definitely be wrong though. Is your water cloudy as well?

SwissTrees

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Ohio
Looks like the bacteria bloom has got away completely imo. Could definitely be wrong though. Is your water cloudy as well?
The over all water has been slowly clearing back up. Still some cloud though. It was just weird how that stuff on the top came about so fast. I did a small 20 WC just a day before.

I dont have any air vents or anything in the room that would cause actual dust to blow in. + there is about 75% of the top covered with glass. (and I know my reds will need a bigger home eventually):D They started here at 1"

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
An air stone would work as well I think

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I used to get it in my tiny fluval spec 3 tank until I moved to return to agitate the surface.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with the above that it is protein.
Proteins are drawn to the air water interface, and unless they are removed or sufficiently broken up, will impede gas exchange.
Doing water changes where they are removed either by siphoning them off the surface, or just removing them with a container does a lot for improving water quality in the tank.
I use protein skimming (fractionation) in my freshwater tanks, but many people find that somewhat "controversial".
The photo below is of concentrated proteins (and other dissolved organic carbon) removed by my freshwater pond protein skimmer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store