Names of Fish Behaviors?

JillianCreek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2016
So what do you you do when you see an interesting behavior by a fish but don't know the name of the behavior?

Like if you see a fish turn sideways and quickly scrape against tank decorations or gravel? It's called flashing.
If you see a fish opening out its gill covers to appear bigger to another fish? It's called flaring.
If a fish continuously wacks another fish in the face with its tail? It's called tail whipping.

But if you didn't know the name, you'd be hard pressed to figure it out.

Do we have a list somewhere of fish behaviors? Or, better yet, a channel on youtube that shows them?

I my case, it's with cichlids. One cichlid comes up beside another and does this big slow wag back-and-forth. Google and searching this forum have been unable to help, which is why I'd like a nifty list for this and any future behavior I may see.

Thanks!
Jillian

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Picks up a plant and moves it to the other side of the tank - redecorating

Moves all the gravel to one side of the tank - building mountains

Bites me during tank maintenance - being a real *******************

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
So what do you you do when you see an interesting behavior by a fish but don't know the name of the behavior?

Like if you see a fish turn sideways and quickly scrape against tank decorations or gravel? It's called flashing.
If you see a fish opening out its gill covers to appear bigger to another fish? It's called flaring.
If a fish continuously wacks another fish in the face with its tail? It's called tail whipping.

But if you didn't know the name, you'd be hard pressed to figure it out.

Do we have a list somewhere of fish behaviors? Or, better yet, a channel on youtube that shows them?

I my case, it's with cichlids. One cichlid comes up beside another and does this big slow wag back-and-forth. Google and searching this forum have been unable to help, which is why I'd like a nifty list for this and any future behavior I may see.

Thanks!
Jillian
Hi Jillian,

What cichlids do you have that are doing this?
Are they the same sex and species?
It sounds to me like one of two things.

It could be a dominance display.Two cichlids acting like this can be the start of a dominance dispute.This kind of behaviour can be the first signs of future aggression.
Or,it could be courtship behaviour. I have seen the behaviour you describe in cichlids many times when two fish begin to pair up.
It's hard to be definite without seeing it and that's why I don't think you will find such a list.
A lot of cichlids will behave in ways that can have the same appearance but mean more than one thing.
Courtship and a aggressive displays can look the same for example.

A lot of other behaviour is often linked to an illness or parasite or poor tank maintenance. These will be named and described as a symptom,so will already be categorised in health guides.
I also think cichlids are complex and diverse.I would be sceptical about any definite generalisation pin pointing a behavioural trait to one specific act.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store