Breeding livestock for predators.

Galasca

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
Alright, so I've narrowed it down to two fish, for a 40g feeder breeder.

Molly or Convicts, which do you pick and why?

Galasca

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
The fish being fed are Silver Aro, Florida Gar, Several Polys, Clown knife, and a Fire Eel (He'll eat the scraps, lol) I'm tired of paying money for feeders then putting them in a Q tank for a month.

Please note: No, I don't only live-feed, the main staple in their diet is currently different insects. But the gars only seem to eat live fish at the moment.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
you need to get them onto prepared foods and pellets if possible...you aren't going to breed enough feeders to keep all those big fish happy, convicts are your best bet but even they won't give you the amount of food you need.

start training those fish onto tilapia, shrimp and pellets asap. Insects are not most of those fishs' main diet.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The fish you mentioned should be able to get on pellets without too much trouble. May need to starve them a bit.

These fish aren't like atf or payara which can be a pain to get off of live.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
The fish you mentioned should be able to get on pellets without too much trouble. May need to starve them a bit.

These fish aren't like atf or payara which can be a pain to get off of live.
+1, I've trained two out of five mentioned onto prepped and pellet diets.

fisjjjj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2016
Bottom of a pond
Honestly, try not to feed live as much as possible, it is time-consuming to breed yourself and buying them is a big risk. However, guppies, platies, convicts, and cherry shrimp are good for live food. NEVER feed goldfish, they destroy vitamins.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Ditto to everything said here. Just starve them for a bit, they'll take to eating pellets. You don't have tigerfish or payaras or anything like that, so you should be good to not feed for a few days and see if they take some pellets

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Honestly, try not to feed live as much as possible, it is time-consuming to breed yourself and buying them is a big risk. However, guppies, platies, convicts, and cherry shrimp are good for live food. NEVER feed goldfish, they destroy vitamins.
well I mean expound upon the goldfish thing lol...they are filled with thiaminase which a lot of fish are, which breaks down vitamin B...which in turn causes the fish to become deficient over time...

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
well I mean expound upon the goldfish thing lol...they are filled with thiaminase which a lot of fish are, which breaks down vitamin B...which in turn causes the fish to become deficient over time...
Yeah, I wouldn't exactly say 'never feed live', but definitely not goldfish or koi. If it's a healthy fish you could feed live all you want, but it's going to get expensive as hell in the long run.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store