Would you filter a 300+ gallon tank with only canisters?

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
So after an unfortunate incident where I lost my Lei Arowana, I've sold my 240 gallon tank and am currently searching for a 96"x30"x24" or a 96"x36"x24" aquarium.

I seem to have bad luck with sump filters with every tank excluding the marineland ones (my 144 and my 92 corner have never given me any problems). I'm hesitant to go with another sump with my next tank, especially if its going to be over 300 gallons. My question is, would you be comfortable filtering a tank that large with only canister filters? Like 3 FX5's/FX6's?

thacarter546

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Midwest
I would think three eheim 2262s or fx6s would be suited to the task. Maybe even overkill. It's all personal preference and stocking. If your parameters stay in bounds all is good.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
If I get this tank, it's going to house the stock that is currently in my 180, and ideally a couple of arowana (I plan to buy 2 when they're small and raise them together), and maaaaaaaaaaaybe an ATF if I feel like going through the pain of breaking one off live again.

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
So after an unfortunate incident where I lost my Lei Arowana, I've sold my 240 gallon tank and am currently searching for a 96"x30"x24" or a 96"x36"x24" aquarium.

I seem to have bad luck with sump filters with every tank excluding the marineland ones (my 144 and my 92 corner have never given me any problems). I'm hesitant to go with another sump with my next tank, especially if its going to be over 300 gallons. My question is, would you be comfortable filtering a tank that large with only canister filters? Like 3 FX5's/FX6's?

Not only WOULD I, but I PLAN TO if I can ever get the tank. I already have an FX5 (new), FX6(new), and 2262(new) all in their unopened box, plus a few extra SunSun 304b's, and a few others lying around.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
No, I would not. I have better things to spend my money on than multiple canister filters for a tank like that.

Last time I bought a 2262, put media in it, it cost me almost $500. To do that twice or 3 times on a 300+ gallon tank is over $1000?

Nah, man. Build a sump for half that. I can do some cool stuff with that $400-$500 -- guns, copper saucepan, bunches of fish for the new tank, a Royal Pleco, etc.

Reactions: knobhill

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I wouldn't go with canister for any size tanks, big or small. It's too tedious to clean any canister and more things can go wrong with canister than other filters. For big tank, a sump system is the way to go. All you need is a little more design planning to get it right.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I think canisters are the most over rated filters out there. There is nothing magic about a tiny bit of media in a pressurized can, especially when compared the movement that comes from real pumps, over the amount of media or other components that can be added to a sump.
I prefer HOBs to cans.
And because cans are so user "un"friendly to maintain they often produce more nitrate than the metabolism of the tank itself.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I think canisters are the most over rated filters out there. There is nothing magic about a tiny bit of media in a pressurized can, especially when compared the movement that comes from real pumps, over the amount of media or other components that can be added to a sump.
I prefer HOBs to cans.
And because cans are so user "un"friendly to maintain they often produce more nitrate than the metabolism of the tank itself.
I'm starting to agree with this. My XP is not all that, but my sun sun is a bad about gunking up. I use probiotics which helps but I'm still breaking open a canister every other month.

If you want a canister xp's are the way to go. Pricey but they are a breeze to clean. Sun sun isn't bad but dang it gets 2x as nasty as my xp's. I've been using pothos which help as well

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
I work away from home for upto a week at a time, so I prefer 2 canister on each tank, if there's a problem when I am away the wife can unplug a canister or remove the pipes out of the tank if it's a leak and I still have one canister working. I clean one canister out each water changes and that takes me 10 mins while the tank drains, personally I am a big fan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store