Yohanon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Tennessee
Picks up a plant and moves it to the other side of the tank - redecorating

Moves all the gravel to one side of the tank - building mountains

Bites me during tank maintenance - being a real *******************
Sounds Like you have an Oscar or other large cichlid. Charming, aren't they?

Reactions: ehh

Yohanon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Tennessee
My piranha gets mad at it's own reflection in the glass. It lowers it's head a little and kind of shakes. I'm assuming that this is some sort of threat display

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
LOLLLL! guys please... i literally laughed out loud...

Reactions: Dee eng

JillianCreek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2016
Hi Jillian,

What cichlids do you have that are doing this?
Are they the same sex and species?
It sounds to me like one of two things.

It could be a dominance display.Two cichlids acting like this can be the start of a dominance dispute.This kind of behaviour can be the first signs of future aggression.
Or,it could be courtship behaviour. I have seen the behaviour you describe in cichlids many times when two fish begin to pair up.
It's hard to be definite without seeing it and that's why I don't think you will find such a list.
A lot of cichlids will behave in ways that can have the same appearance but mean more than one thing.
Courtship and a aggressive displays can look the same for example.

A lot of other behaviour is often linked to an illness or parasite or poor tank maintenance. These will be named and described as a symptom,so will already be categorised in health guides.
I also think cichlids are complex and diverse.I would be sceptical about any definite generalisation pin pointing a behavioural trait to one specific act.

I've seen this in two separate species. The first time was in the wild in a clear creek in Austin Texas. They were Texas cichlids and I had trained them to come up to me for food. There was a group of them and one particular fish singled out another and performed the slow wobble. I couldn't tell sexes, but they were both medium sized adults.

The second time was with two Paratilapia (bleekeri or polleni, whatev's). I had just introduced the newbie and the established fish did this. Again, I'm not sure of sexes, still learning.

So it could be a dominance thing or a mating thing. The Texas cichlids did it during the mating season. (I did see fry in the weeks before.) I was hoping for a name of this very obvious behavior.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
20160706_065641(0)-1.jpg
Two males doing the "Pisces spin" This happen right before the " lip lock" were they bite each other, attempting to remove the other lower jaw. Then comes the much friendlier game of " hide n go seek"
The Victor will then do the " vibration shake" as he try to impress the females. The real "names" I am not sure. So fill free to correct me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store