MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
Clarkston, Wa

lunsforj

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
corvallis, OR
One of several distinct Herichthys that hail from northern Mexico. To the best of my knowledge, they are a rather isolated species. I believe they are similar in care to carpintus/cyanoguttatus/deppi.

MP_cichlid

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2015
Connecticut
Gotta take that barring into account as well. When I first looked at it, it hit me with a little louiselle maybe? Also the face is so pointed kind of, maybe some sort of synspilum?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Herichthys minckleyi come from isolated lagoons in north Central Mexico, called Cuatro Cienega's that are in the middle of the desert. There are a number of endemic species there found no where else, including a species of turtle, and a sunfish.
Your photo does resemble a minckleyi, but the idea of someone letting such a rare species go (to me) is crazy.
Almost all cichlids of tribe Heroini can possibly interbreed, and this includes cichlids from as far south as Uruguay and to Texas in the north. There may be as many as 100 or even more species in the tribe, so trying to guess a combination from that lot, is a bit like finding the needle in a haystack. Especially if the person trying is unfamiliar with a majority of them.

Reactions: twhittle

twhittle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
Clarkston, Wa
Shoot. I should have grabbed the female too.

Reactions: Frank Castle

twhittle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
Clarkston, Wa
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store