Dont trust Gus

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Big fish and filter intakes don't get along well lol. a friend of mine had an oscar called Michael that disliked the filter intake as well :eek:

Yohanon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Tennessee
Large piranhas like rhoms are known to attack objects in their tanks like filter intakes, heaters, etc. When keeping such fish, it may be a better idea to set up with a weir/overflow, sump, in-line heater, etc. to keep as many such objects out of the main display tank to minimize unnecessary repairs and possible injury to the fish. The reality is that some fish are more challenging to keep due to size and aggressiveness, and tanks need to be set up with that in mind. Truth be told, certain species obnoxious natures are what makes them so entertaining and why we love them so much.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It's entertaining to read your Gus stories, albeit you are engaged heavily in an anthropomorphism of Gus, of course. Still funny.

I guess Gus is a name for troublemaker fish. I rescued a 26" giant gourami in 2010 named Gus. He eventually learned that rubber is chewy and chewed like a hundred holes in my rubber liner pond in our basement. Caused me innumerable problems. The pond was 40'x6'x3' 4000 gal and full of fish. On top of that we were moving from NY to FL and I made 4 3000 mile round trips.

LizardQueen

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 19, 2016
Tucson
Large piranhas like rhoms are known to attack objects in their tanks like filter intakes, heaters, etc. When keeping such fish, it may be a better idea to set up with a weir/overflow, sump, in-line heater, etc. to keep as many such objects out of the main display tank to minimize unnecessary repairs and possible injury to the fish. The reality is that some fish are more challenging to keep due to size and aggressiveness, and tanks need to be set up with that in mind. Truth be told, certain species obnoxious natures are what makes them so entertaining and why we love them so much.
he's an ass but he's my ass <3

It's entertaining to read your Gus stories, albeit you are engaged heavily in an anthropomorphism of Gus, of course. Still funny.

I guess Gus is a name for troublemaker fish. I rescued a 26" giant gourami in 2010 named Gus. He eventually learned that rubber is chewy and chewed like a hundred holes in my rubber liner pond in our basement. Caused me innumerable problems. The pond was 40'x6'x3' 4000 gal and full of fish. On top of that we were moving from NY to FL and I made 4 3000 mile round trips.
gus is a fish with no feelings i realize this but i often try and equate him to a child because if i dont i fear i may chuck him out in the desert out of frustration

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Haha If that helps you to retain your sanity and helps Gus retain his life, so be it :)

But seriously, it is the norm when it comes to fish keeping and monster-fish keeping especially. And especially at the start. But even years later when you think you got it all under control and figured out, our little monsters will manage to surprise you, not to mention the filtering, plumbing, electric, pumping, aerating, etc. little "wonderful" surprises - these never cease either.

I think you should consider writing children books :)

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Fish have some feelings,but they don't seem to feel such things as shame,but they appear to feel(or at least display)such things as excitement,fear,or anger .
It should also be noted that fish can feel pain and can display behaviors associated with boredom.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store