My Wels Catfish (silurus glanis) albino

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Well, if anything, I am listening to Russ and learning. I've noted a large red protrusion coming out of an anus of some of my large cats on a handful of occasions. Didn't know what to make of it. Sounds like Russ has seen it too and attributes it to overfeeding.

This one I had to look up: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Rigamortis
rigor mortis (ˈrɪɡə ˈmɔːtɪs) [C19: Latin, literally: rigidity of death](Pathology) pathol the stiffness of joints and muscular rigidity of a dead body, caused by depletion of ATP in the tissues. It begins two to four hours after death and lasts up to about four days, after which the muscles and joints relax

Anyhow, back to the topic - I'd have to say that yes, my little wels resembles yours and Russ' in behavior - does not like changes, is not a voracious feeder by any means. So I think there is nothing to worry about.

Once I had to fast my two ~6" juruense for 4-6 months to wean them off live feeders. So size is not a reason to worry about a 1-2 week fast.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
UPDATE; October 26, 2016:

Since the prior update I have kept the tank at a constant 68-70 deg. F ....mainly because my heater gave out and I haven't been able to replace it yet...which ultimately turned out to be a good thing and he seems to like tha cooler water way better than 76-79 deg. He has begun eating again and has shown more activity! I'm guessing he just enjoys the cooler waters more? Seems to be thriving in that temp range. Not sure where Wes gets his wels from (meaning their collection point) anyways he is eating again and definitely more active....will post more observations If I come across any more. wednesday13 wednesday13 thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter

Reactions: wednesday13

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
That sounds like a nice short term improvement. Will see if it holds long term.

I've done some changes in my wels' tank too and have not seen it eat since (~2 weeks). I leave the food overnight but I don't know if the wels partakes or if the tank mates eat it up. It used to come over and eat some or all before the change.

The water is cooling naturally here too (i don't heat the water). From 85-89 F all summer long now down to 82-84. But because of the change in furniture and tank mates, I can't know if the rather quick cooling would have made a favorable impact otherwise.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Glad to hear hes eating again... leaving them alone usually does the trick... mine has done this his entire life, its natural for cats of any sp. to take a break and grow. thats just how it goes. Consistency in ur enclosure/husbandry is key to keep them regular. Id say the heater breaking and leaving ur tank at a steady temp def helped also. i dont think cooler water has anything to do with it...more so the constant temp not being changed.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
fugupuff fugupuff wednesday13 wednesday13 vincentwugwg vincentwugwg

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
fugupuff fugupuff wednesday13 wednesday13 vincentwugwg vincentwugwg

Knew it was comin... been in the books since early 2000... not happy about it lol... they put some rays on the cites list also.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
So wednesday13 wednesday13 @WailuaBoy thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter so basically I can never sell of trade my wels or move to another state with him? If that is the case im fuc**d because I plan to get out of California in several years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store