Would you filter a 300+ gallon tank with only canisters?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I'm big fan for canister for any tank below 200G because FX6 work perfectly for those tank. Any tank from 240G and up I would use a sump system, you can setup a huge sump system to add more water volume to your setup. It just need some time to get it right, if you not fan of setting up thing then you can go to LFS buy a sump from them then ask them to set it up for you for a small fee.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
I've used SunSun' (aquatops) in the past and I don't like the way their return pieces fit together. I had one connector pop loose and spray 20+ gallons onto the floor before we caught it. They're priced right, but not my favorite.

I do love my FX5's. I know some people consider them overrated, but they've never given me any problems. I currently have 2 running on my 180, and 2 on standby in my fish supply closet.

My favorite this about the wet/dry filters is the ability to hide everything in them. My FX5 intakes and heaters are constantly knocked off the back wall by my fish. I like the look of a clean tank; however, I also like a dry floor.... I suppose I'll have to see what tank I'm going to get first, and them plan accordingly.

Thanks for the input thus far all!

Reactions: knobhill

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
Cannisters work great. And when you have MULTIPLE you only clean 1 at a time. Mine run 3-6 months each EASILY.
Most problems are USER ERROR, but there are exceptions, especially when buy used stuff, which is why I never y used cans, and grease my seals with silicon grease religiously during cleaning.

As far as media, to make it affordable just be a bit more "frugal" as you'd be surprised what will work(Lava Rock/Pot scrubbers, etc...). Bacteria DON'T CARE. You don't need all that EXPENSIVE pumice/ceramic media(although I do have a lot it left over from old tanks over the years I never threw away)..... I'm an aquarium filter/parts PACK RAT, and it has always paid off eventually! I have a CLOSET full of filters and media from up to 20+ years old.

Good Vid of cans on a ~300:

Last edited:

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Part 1—Sump or Not?

What size pump should I use? Overflows? Should I go with a Sump or Canisters on my tank I’m ordering? How do I set up my sump?

These questions come up over and over again on MFK. So, this document is intended to compare options, and to present what I think is a pretty good design for most situations.

The first question to answer is whether you want to use a sump or not. The answer is yes if your tank requires more than 2 or 3 canisters to be properly filtered. Sumps are usually MUCH cheaper than canisters. In freshwater aquaria, they can be configured to be much easier to clean than a canister, too. But....cleaning 2-3 canisters? You get the idea. I’d say any tank bigger than 180 Gallons should be filtered with a sump instead of a canister.

Sumps provide a place to put injured fish, and fry. They take all the equipment out of the display tank, and move it into the sump--CA Cichlids break stuff sometimes. And they get violent with each other when they all run for the same hiding spot when you put your arm in the tank to adjust the heater. Sumps alleviate most of that. Sumps make drip systems possible. Tired of doing water changes? Well, you don’t have to anymore if you have a drip system. Sumps let you grow plants in the tank water, but the fish can’t tear at them. Those of you considering growing Pothos plants in tank water to reduce Nitrates might like the room a sump provides to grow those plants without fish nipping the roots. Sumps mean you don’t need airstones to “aerate the water” anymore. Sumps are a great place to keep sponge filters on hand and cycled if the need arises. And sumps are just roomier.

There are some disadvantages to sumps….not many, but some. Sumps require some planning. Sumps require some extra effort to run silent. And sumps will probably require you to DIY.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/sump-help.675946/#post-7594900

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
You should plumb one of your fx5s directly into your tank and run a sump. Best of both worlds and if one fails, the other can keep your fish alive til you fix the problem.

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
i like all the filter types, i think im a bit filter crazy...
had 6 fx5s, a aquatop cf500uv and a sump on my
old 180g lol... if you have the money just do what
ever is comfortable to you. ive ran a 300+ on just
cans. had 2 ultima 1000 and 3 fx5s on it, no sump.
used fx5s strictly for mech and ultimas for bio.
worked great and kept the water pristine/ crystal clear.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I've had good luck running canisters connected to planted over head sumps, granted a submersible pump can accomplish the same task at a fraction of cost tho

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
I've ran two fx5-6 on my 300g for a couple of years, works fine. Can't warrant another one when two work fine... my initial plan was to run three.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store