Opinions on Coppersafe

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Self-explanatory.....I'd like to know what people have to say about it. I have a big bottle of it and I used it for ich last year when I had Trout, and I just started using it again. Tell me what you guys have used it for and does it do more than just what the bottle says it does?

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
it is a great t drug when used appropriately and with fish not overly sensitive to it. It really is a poor chose for ich

Reactions: Frank Castle

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have used it to treat minnows(for parasites) that I have cought to use as feeders.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
it is a great t drug when used appropriately and with fish not overly sensitive to it. It really is a poor chose for ich
It worked on my Trout just fine, and have used it to treat Ich in Tropicals before as well. Why do you say this?
I have used it to treat minnows(for parasites) that I have cought to use as feeders.
Does it take care of internal parasites as well?

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I much prefer using organic based than heavy metal based ick treatment. Organic based remedy such as malachite green or formalin biodegrade quickly after treatment. Copper stays in the system for a long time even after WC by absorption into the substrate. Organic based remedy also works more effectively, but some fish, such as loaches and tetra, are ultrasensitive to malachte green. But if you use it to treat cichlid, it should be fine.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I used Coppersafe for many years, without issue. IMHO, very effective at treating ich, and also IMO in many cases safer than using salt, and high temps. No osmoregulatory stress on fish, that can often be associated with high temps/salt. This is in hard water (220 ppm), and pH of 8.2 Under those conditions, safe for the vast majority of species, including clown loaches. I would NOT use copper of any kind in soft water.

I can no longer get Coppersafe locally (they sold the product line a few years back) and I have since used Seachem Cupramine to treat extoparasites, including ich. Easily removed via water changes, Seachem Cuprasorb, and even carbon. Only downside is one can't use Prime/Safe with Cupramine, you have to use a sodium thiosulphate based water conditioner.

HTH

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I would not treat feeders with this on a regular basis,this leads to a score of problems,I'm also reluctant to use these chemicals,as they often lead to more problems than solutions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store