Observations on tank mates with ps

Yohanon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Tennessee
Crayfish are often ignored by piranhas,for reasons they have never told mee lol they will eat leftover foodbits but may eat plants my largest cray had trouble distingousing live for plastic plants so he just tore up both.
I had a cray fish in a tank with a shoal of red bellies once. It lasted about two weeks

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Yohanon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Tennessee
I have some otos in my tank for algae control. They seem to be quite adept at dodging the piranha. I haven't found any carcasses yet, except for one who ventured too close to the weir and I found him in the sump.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Piranhas wouldn't leave carcasses...

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Yellowbelly piranha is pygocentrus piraya "yellow"if I remember correctly,it is a type of piraya piranha with a yellow breast and is somewhat hard to get,adult size tends to be bigger than red belly adults.

Deathinnumbers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2012
Stuck in a nano cube
Yellowbelly piranha is pygocentrus piraya "yellow"if I remember correctly,it is a type of piraya piranha with a yellow breast and is somewhat hard to get,adult size tends to be bigger than red belly adults.
Yellow bellies are usually ternetzi pygo
Back in the day they where more common

After keeping piranha for over 10 years and having 15 different species I can tell you that there is no tank mates that will live forever with and piranha. I always used dithers in my tanks but always had to restock them every few weeks especially with the smaller piranhas. Larger ones would not waste there energy often to eat something small like neons but would destroy convicts ( easy to breed and make nice food/dithers)

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I have read that piranhas will accept hoplo catfish.
Apparently they act as cleaner fish to piranhas in the wild,feeding from small parasites on the skin.I dint know if this works in aquariums but I have read that it does.
Ultimately though I don't like to see fish die as a result of my poor judgement so probably would not try it.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
I have read that piranhas will accept hoplo catfish.
Apparently they act as cleaner fish to piranhas in the wild,feeding from small parasites on the skin.I dint know if this works in aquariums but I have read that it does.
Could you link us to the article?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store