What's Your Best Cleaning Method? (Seriously, This is Gross)

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
That's the worst I've ever seen a tank, and I hope to never see worse... The red film on everything is new to me, I've never seen it before and it's gross lol

I won't be using the filter, my hubby hates them lol it also has a hood it came with, and (I think) three t5 bulbs that have never even been turned on. Idk if they're any good though.

I think its a cute little tank, Miles (my betta) will be going in it once I've cleaned it up until I can get him a bigger one, then it will become a community. :)
the filter will be fine, just hook it up to a plastic bin/shoebox/RUB and fill it with boiling water and plug it in for a few hours and run the boiling water through it. It will sterilize it 100% and you can re-use it. I NEVER throw away filters and the only time I have I keep wishing I still had them and still kicking myself in the ass 5 years later.

The boiling water will soften everything up so it's easy to clean - you can clean it, run boiling water through it a few hours then clean it again afterwards - good as new :D

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
Idk why he hates them he just doesn't like them; the 120ltr we swapped for this had one, as did our 5ft and 4ft but he pulled them out and replaced them with canisters and diy ones. The hood won't allow for a hob...

It won't be a single betta, I have a few tetras to put in it with him (have to play musical tanks to accommodate a pleco) and maybe my little stunted cae and kuhlli loaches depending on the bio load with Miles and the tetras.

Thanks... I'll have great fun with it :rolleyes:
what no room for a hob? throw it away! lol... j/k. he made the right decision then.
with a good hob it should be fine or u can put 2 hobs and have purely bio in 1 to
accommodate the larger bio load and maybe add some live plants and moss
balls for extra bio if you like the planted look.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I'm not sure what he's doing for filtration, if he's going to get a few small canisters for it or if he's going to diy it like he did the 120ltr we swapped for it.. I don't really care, as long as my Miles is happy and I know how it works. :D

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I'm not sure what he's doing for filtration, if he's going to get a few small canisters for it or if he's going to diy it like he did the 120ltr we swapped for it.. I don't really care, as long as my Miles is happy and I know how it works. :D
one or two HOBS is more than enough for a Betta in a 20 gallon tank......as a matter of fact, I have heard too much flow or too much turnover is actually BAD for Bettas.....u might just wanna do ONE HOB and nothing else, IMHO

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
one or two HOBS is more than enough for a Betta in a 20 gallon tank......as a matter of fact, I have heard too much flow or too much turnover is actually BAD for Bettas.....u might just wanna do ONE HOB and nothing else, IMHO
she said she's keeping other fish in it with her betta miles hence the consideration
of other filtration options.

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
oh right I forgot Betta in a community......still 20G doesn't take much to filter it lol
it doesnt but she's being a responsible owner and doing what needs to be done.
plus this is MFK we dont believe in "over" filtering tanks lol...

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
it doesnt but she's being a responsible owner and doing what needs to be done.
plus this is MFK we dont believe in "over" filtering tanks lol...
yea, but im pretty sure I've heard from various sources that too much filtration or overturn is not good for Bettas at all......only fish I ever herd that applies to - juust like too much current is not good for Angelfish because they are not strong swimmers

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
yea, but im pretty sure I've heard from various sources that too much filtration or overturn is not good for Bettas at all......only fish I ever herd that applies to - juust like too much current is not good for Angelfish because they are not strong swimmers
not sure about bettas since i only kept one in my whole life that i
ended up giving away a few weeks later to my neighbors daughter
but angels and discus dont like the strong current but you use
spray bars and reducers or hardscape to decrease the strength of
the current like placing a rock near by or what not.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store