Aggression of Beani?

Dragonfirehead

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2015
Anyone have any experience with these monsters? I don't need what you heard! What's up with the bloat and constant clean water? Plan to start a tank of them. Any advice?

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Beani are no different to any other ca cichlid when it comes to water quality, they all need clean water. They do need cooler temps though, and benefit from being in pair only tanks, otherwise seem fairly hardy cichlids

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Hyper aggressive and stress very easily. I fed lightly, kept water cool, and kept them from seeing other fish. All bloated and died though. The biggest could see my old dovii and stressed himself to death trying to chase the it away.

You don't have much forgiveness with these if any until they get bigger.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
My most successful pair spawned in water about 68'-70'F, and killed all tankmates in a 150 tank at the time.
I found them susceptible to bacterial infections in warmer water, and tried to do water changes of at least 30% every other day, to keep water pristine.
They never liked any other cichlid tank mates, unless they could kill them, and if they couldn't tended to stress out and sicken.
I sent fry around, and warned that even at a small size (1"), they will be very aggressive needing either single separate quarters, or heavy plantings to break line of sight.
A person I sent many, lost them all by not providing this type habitat.

Reactions: MP_cichlid

Dragonfirehead

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2015
Damn! Sounds like they only can be separated by themselves. I was hoping to mix some Dovii n rds. Lol

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
They are basically the only cichlid in their habitat (the northern Pacific cost of Mexico).
Most cichlids that are endemic to a habitat where they are isolated (where no other cichlid is found), do not play well with other cichlids (Nandopsis haitiensus is another example, the only endemic cichlid on its island), so this alone makes them instinctually, bad cichlid community tank species.

lunsforj

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
corvallis, OR
Mine did well in a group of 8 all summer in a Rubbermaid this year, until I caught them up and moved them inside with some or ornatum grow outs of the same size. Then they bloated and died. The tub was quite warm through parts of summer. Over 80 at times. I actually think the dark sides and bottom might have kept them less stressed. I also kept them with a much larger salvini in the tub and it didn't seem to bother them. That was one of the reasons I wasn't too worried about the smaller ornatum grow outs. I don't know if they appreciated being viewed through the clear glass panes of tank living.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I also tossed my last beani in my 1500 gal pond in a summer with other cichlids in Milwaukee, and it did well. In my pond day night temps varied quite bit from 80s in late afternoon to 60s in early morning. I believe the diurnal fluctuations may have been a good thing, because in northern Mexico in that semi desert area where they come from, temps get cool at night, so those changes may be an important adaptation to their natural habitat.
I believe MFK member notho2000 had a similar success in Canada.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store