Trying to break my GATF off live..

Lobonator

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2015
To my surprise, he does eat those tiny blood worms when passing by his face.
Now keep doing that till he goes after the big chunks of blood worms. Then roll a cube of blood worms in some crush pellet, and see if he takes that. Then its pretty easy to go to pellets from there

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
The big GATF is hard if not impossible to break them off live, I remembered my 6 inches GATF at that size its already paint in the butt to get it off live and took me roughly 2 months to get it first bite at market prawn and pellets, some GATF will just starve until it ran out of store engery then slowly die out. Even after I broke my GATF off live successful I still go back to feed him live (QT and gut loaded feeders) it's much more enjoy it go after a feeder than a dead meat or pellet but it's just me.

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
I want to say finally after 10 weeks, as of yesterday and today, I believe the gatf finally recognizes dojo loaches that I've been feeding my stingrays as a food source. It was brutal watching over him without any signs of eating for this long. I can't wait until he regains his mass. Towards the end of the fast, he started taking bites at all the tank mates. The aparacio got a bit of his tail and disc chomped on.

Yuki Rihwa Yuki Rihwa yes I enjoy watching the hunt as that is what even got me into mfk keeping in the first place. However, i noticed the water quality stay more consistent and better for longer while feeding non live versus live. The massive mess they make that becomes detritus sours the water quality too fast. Until I build a new setup with proper plumping and a drip system, I'm going stay on the lowest amount of maintenance necessary since it is still by manual means.

IMG_4171.JPG

IMG_4170.JPG

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
So impressive looking at 19in. Can't imagine a 3ft in home aquarium. How long did it take to get him to this size?

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
3feet specimens are around.. and would be an awe to see in person just like that aimara I posted up. My gatf actually grew from about 12" to 19+" within a year.. now he's kind of capped due to the tank size until I upgrade.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store