Black sand

speedo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Stoke on trent UK
Anybody using black sand with their rays ?
Swell are selling black Limpopo sand for £29.95 -25kg
I'm not sure how it would look with rays though ?

schwarzi88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2008
Germany
i used it a long time ago and it looked great .... i went with black sand from a local sandblasting place and i payed $15 for a 50 lb bag ....

Reactions: speedo

Freshwater4Life

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2015
VB
Really ? This is my first Ray so not an expert but his colors don't seem to be affected it all compared to the pics from my buddy who had him in a bare bottom. If anything they seem brighter.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Really ? This is my first Ray so not an expert but his colors don't seem to be affected it all compared to the pics from my buddy who had him in a bare bottom. If anything they seem brighter.
Give it some time.

Zbosco13

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Grand Rapids, MI
The negative side of black or dark colored substrate is unless you have black and white stingrays it ruins the pattern and colors of most of the other Stingray types.

I can second this. Had a huge improvement in my marble's color when I switched from black to white

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
Is yours an Orbignyi? Can't be sure from your pic but if it is you likely won't see a difference due to substrate colour but I would say marbles are very affected by the substrate colour.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store