Ideas for how to filter 40 tanks

timmycat

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2009
frankfort Il
I recently bout 40 tanks from a pet store that closed down . I need some ideas on how to set up a filter for them . Thay all have 2 bulkheads in them on the top in the back side. I also have the pump that was used to run them all . I was thinking about setting up a closed loop system. I would like to be able to set it up with the one pump. I'm new to large scale filtration. The biggest I've set up for is a 210g . I'm also kinda doing it on a budget .

20161024_173441.jpg

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
You could plumb them all to one sump but if you have some sort of outbreak or you mess something up it happens to all 40 tanks. The advantages being one heating system and one pump/filter system. You could also plug all the bulkheads and run a large airpump with 40 airlines going to 40 sponge filters. This would isolate the tanks and prevent problems from spreading but you will need to heat each individually. You would also need to do separate water changes versus one large water change (with individual spot cleaning) if they are plumbed together. No system will get you all the advantages.

Reactions: knobhill

timmycat

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2009
frankfort Il
You could plumb them all to one sump but if you have some sort of outbreak or you mess something up it happens to all 40 tanks. The advantages being one heating system and one pump/filter system. You could also plug all the bulkheads and run a large airpump with 40 airlines going to 40 sponge filters. This would isolate the tanks and prevent problems from spreading but you will need to heat each individually. You would also need to do separate water changes versus one large water change (with individual spot cleaning) if they are plumbed together. No system will get you all the advantages.
I thought about using sponge filters but I want a set up where I only have one big filter to clean and not multiple filters . I would also like one unit for heating . One heating unit might be be more cost effective too

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
Then you have to plumb them together. Cost effectiveness will leave you with a sump which is a good thing. Not sure how many gallons you have there but to get all 40 of them running you will need a pretty legit heating system and you will lose heat as you move down the system.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Get some lids for insulation and use floating plants for filtration,for main filtration run pool or pond pumps thru trash cans full of sand and gravel with cheap pot scrubbers,then top these off with pathos and other plants for additional filtration.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Piston air pumps and sponge are great. Piston pumps are economical, quiet and very powerful.

You can run a few sponges on each tank and it should work well!

As for heating a heated room or similar should be best...

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
with that many tanks i would split it into 4/10tanks ea/ separate central systems
but thats just me. what are you going stock all those tanks with?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store