Do fish (bichir) need multivitamins in pellet food or can they eat tilapia/shrimp as a staple?

BichirMohawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2016
Ex: Massivore/pellet foods contains vitamins. Reason I ask is because Massivore (don't mean to bash on Hikari) smells awful like poo but they will eat them. And I saw my bichir try to eat its own poo, I feed them once a day until they have stomach with slight bulges and they poop it out within the next day so it couldn't have been that they were starving to eat the poo. So would anyone with experience here know if they would be okay eating tilapia/shrimp as a staple which provides the necessary vitamins/nutrients needed? I have obtained other pellet foods on amazon with multivitamins that don't smell like poo but they aren't that smelly and are pretty hard to break apart so i'm not sure if they have been stored for too long of a time period. I guess I would be asking anyone here who is a marine/fish dietitian (unlikely I guess lol) or more likely has anyone here kept bichirs for years and grown healthy on a staple of tilapia/shrimp?

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Interesting read on stomach contents of P.senegalus: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/p-senegalus-diet-in-the-wild.105917/

I feel a varied diet that includes pellets is the best for my fish so that is what I do. But if it came down to just tilapia/shrimp, I would still add other things so that they would not miss out on those vitamins. I would use a small whole fish (frozen) like silversides or herring with guts and heads intact, chopped up if the bichir could not eat them whole. I think the stomach contents and various other parts would add a lot of good things. I would likely use frozen krill and likely chopped up earthworms.

For convenience I just use Massivore. And yes it stinks and I hate it. But the stuff really puts size on the polys. There are other carnivore pellets out there by nls and northfin if the smell is too much.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
My staple food for my polys are tilapia, i only feed them hikari sinking pellets once a week, shrimp i only give them once every two weeks, anchovies i feed them too like once a week or sometimes once every two weeks. Tilapia has alot of vitamins in it but its better to sometimes give them massivore pellets to complete all the vitamins they need.
Most young polys intend to eat anything from plants,algea wafer, pebbles and poop. Most of this that ive noticed are usually from upper jaw species.

Reactions: BichirMohawk
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store