Processing locally caught fish to feed aquarium fish?

coryjac0b

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2011
NOLA
So I have an abundance of Redfish caught in southern LA. My brother in law goes fishing every weekend and i have come to the point of turning down fish as my freezer is full.

Can I process the filets down to smaller sizes for aquarium fish to eat? Tank is currently cycling, but I will be keeping a few CA/SA cichlids.

My idea was to shave some pieces of the frozen filet, thaw, then feed.

Thanks

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I don't see the problem there! I used to feed wild caught fish to my predator live but I do QT them for few days before I feed it to my predators. Some folks will say NO due to the risk of wild parasites might wipe out your tank so do it as your own risk...For me it's not a problem :p

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
I would say there isn't a problem so long as the fish are well frozen before feeding, and the location the fish were caught is remote, and un-polluted. If the fish are caught in an area that is either urban, or downstream from an urban area, I would abstain. Toxins and heavy metals in the river are absorbed into the local fish, which you then transfer to your fish. Otherwise, shouldn't be an issue.

coryjac0b

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2011
NOLA
All the fish he keeps are visually healthy. The filets have been frozen for a few weeks now. Caught mostly near coastal marsh areas away from any urban areas.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
All the fish he keeps are visually healthy. The filets have been frozen for a few weeks now. Caught mostly near coastal marsh areas away from any urban areas.
commercial freezers do not get cold enough for making wild-caught prey items safe for feeding it to your fish. They go down into the 30's maybe the 20'sF for a good one, but these frozen foods we buy from the store are frozen around -50F, far colder than our freezers will go

Wailua Boy Wailua Boy Oddball Oddball duanes duanes RD. RD. Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 dan518 dan518 Andy woods cichlids uk Andy woods cichlids uk

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I would agree with the above statement. Without flash freezing, there is a chance of parasites being transferred; granted it may be a small chance. By using saltwater species not brackish, you greatly improve your chances of not passing any kind of parasite

Reactions: Frank Castle

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
if it's caught deep sea fishing it should be ok after freezing for a week or so.
i take em home live in multiple large coolers, once home i cut the head off,
wash it real good, descale em, de-bone & cut/filet it and then freeze for 2 weeks
in zip lock bags. depending on what its for i cut it into cubes or run it in a blender
for a very short time so its minced but not too fine. unless im eating for myself
then i just thaw the filet out and cook it as i please. havent had a problem or fish
casualty yet and its the same process for over a decade.

but if its caught by pier fishing or close to the shore i would never eat it yet alone
feed it to my fish or any other pets. especially in LA waters lol... in this case it's
always catch and release or use as bait.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
if it's caught deep sea fishing it should be ok after freezing for a week or so.
i take em home live in multiple large coolers, once home i cut the head off,
wash it real good, descale em, de-bone & cut/filet it and then freeze for 2 weeks
in zip lock bags. depending on what its for i cut it into cubes or run it in a blender
for a very short time so its minced but not too fine. unless im eating for myself
then i just thaw the filet out and cook it as i please. havent had a problem or fish
casualty yet and its the same process for over a decade.

but if its caught by pier fishing or close to the shore i would never eat it yet alone
feed it to my fish or any other pets. especially in LA waters lol... in this case it's
always catch and release or use as bait.
right - now consider that you give it to your fish RAW!!! Wild caught is good for live aquarium fish, but not for feeder fish and fillets.....YUK!!!! *puts Mr. Yuk sticker on CPU-screen*

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
why whats wrong as fillets lol its good fish man. going out miles and miles into the
deep sea and catching fresh fish its a waste to only give it to my fish and enjoy any
for myself lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store