Cichlid Guessing Game, CA/SA Cichlids Only!!

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Do u have a utube channel Frank
I do not, but if you want my opinion on common names, I hate them, but I know the Texas cichlid (Rio Grande cichlid)to be Herichthys cyannoguttatum, while the GREEN Texas Cichlid (Pearl-scaled cichlid)would be Herichthys carpintis. Easily confusable, and they can also hybridize to make things even more complicated......sadly not everyone is an expert when it comes to Herichthys, including myself, but those are the common names I have purchased under.

Believe me, I have seen them mislabeled at waaayyy more than just one pet store

Reactions: Lil g

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
a Texas cichlid is a Texas cichlid and the name should not be used for any other fish. I've met a ton of ppl over the course of a year that don't know the difference ND it's because of ppl like u that see a carpintis and refer to it as a texas cichlid misleading them... Ppl that haven't been in the hobby for 90 years don't know the difference.
The poster you quoted said very clearly that carpintis and cyanoguttatus are NOT the same species. He simply explained that both have been commonly referred to as Texas cichlids for many, many years.

you ppl are just rude here... Like who cares if Im telling ppl something they already, those ppl then need to not reply then if we're going to have it that way... I wouldn't respond to something that someone was answering if it didn't apply to me..
Yeah, the only one I've seen being rude here is, well, you. ;)

Bartoni are already black and white so how do they go black and white when spawning... Carpintis also turn black and white when spawning and Texas cichlids do not... So now this is why ppl get confused on fish.. My point to my posting from the beginning

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
The poster you quoted said very clearly that carpintis and cyanoguttatus are NOT the same species. He simply explained that both have been commonly referred to as Texas cichlids for many, many years.

Yeah, the only one I've seen being rude here is, well, you. ;)

Thanks for posting this Jason.I also think the op was the only one that was particularly rude.
His attitude was terrible from the off.

Reactions: Jason_S

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
it's N newworld 's turn Buphy Buphy

Post one if you want, we can do a few at a time. The waiting period drives me nuts anyway

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store