My Blue Flash Mpulungu are holding!

MattyV55

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2016
Kingston MA
They are in a tank with 5f and 2m. 2 of the females are holding currently. There are also 2 small 1.5 inch calvus in the tank who I know are fry eaters. I have a 10g tank empty at the moment available. What should I do to be able to keep these fry???

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
You have two possibilities.
one is catching the fry after release. After hatching the fry will swim to the water surface. If you have some plants floating on the surface its no normaly no problem for them to hide.
Btw i never had any problems with my calvus eating any fry. But i know that it can happen.

Or you can separate the females a few days before release. They carry their young for 18-21 days. But be carefull sometimes they spit their eggs or fry into the net while catching them. So the fry better be old enough.

MattyV55

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2016
Kingston MA
You have two possibilities.
one is catching the fry after release. After hatching the fry will swim to the water surface. If you have some plants floating on the surface its no normaly no problem for them to hide.
Btw i never had any problems with my calvus eating any fry. But i know that it can happen.

Or you can separate the females a few days before release. They carry their young for 18-21 days. But be carefull sometimes they spit their eggs or fry into the net while catching them. So the fry better be old enough.
Thank you! I think I will try and catch the fry after the release. I would be worried about stressing out the females moving them to a different tank.hopefully I time it right and get to them shortly after she spits them out

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store