Stingray tank

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
Could I run a sand filter off the return pipe on the fx6 or would that be to powerful ?
I run my tmc 1000 sand filter off main pump and have a t piece in the line with small ball valve to get the flow to the right level to prevent the sans being sprayed out the end. The tmc ones are quite cheap and about £100.

If you go for a cloverleaf, they are a bit more expensive, but have a bypass flow so it limits the flow to the correct level for the filter and sends the rest straight past to tank so is no messing around.

Reactions: speedo

speedo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Stoke on trent UK
Is there a certain kind of sand that you have to use in a reactor?
I have only used reactors with rowaphos & bio-pearls on my old marine tanks

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
Is there a certain kind of sand that you have to use in a reactor?
I have only used reactors with rowaphos & bio-pearls on my old marine tanks
Nah just normal sand, they come with the sand though so don't need to worry about it!

viper0397

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.facebook.com
Hmm I am reading all of your comments on sumps. I have a 240 gallon tank 8'x2'x2' and I run 1 fx6, a sponge filter, and a DIY 2 liter bottle filled with K1. I stock 3 retics, 5 red hooks, 1 electric blue acara, and 1 clown knifefish. The only problem I have ever had is with nitrates. I now run a drip system which has seemed to alleviate that. I think people really underestimate the fx series filters.

Sand filters work great until they fail. I heard once they fail ie your power goes out, they can release toxins back into your tank and kill your fish. Please correct me if I am wrong, but several people have told me this.

If I were to do a sump personally I would use K1 or the new equivalent.

speedo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Stoke on trent UK
Hmm I am reading all of your comments on sumps. I have a 240 gallon tank 8'x2'x2' and I run 1 fx6, a sponge filter, and a DIY 2 liter bottle filled with K1. I stock 3 retics, 5 red hooks, 1 electric blue acara, and 1 clown knifefish. The only problem I have ever had is with nitrates. I now run a drip system which has seemed to alleviate that. I think people really underestimate the fx series filters.

Sand filters work great until they fail. I heard once they fail ie your power goes out, they can release toxins back into your tank and kill your fish. Please correct me if I am wrong, but several people have told me this.

If I were to do a sump personally I would use K1 or the new equivalent.
Hi I have also read that they can release toxins etc if they are turned off etc

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store