220 gallon stocking question

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
I was in the process of removing the two zonatus and the bigger melanura to open more space but I had zero issues with aggression in that tank

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
I've seen many, many tanks with combined central Americans that didn't seem to have any issues. I had a 210 gallon central American community tank a few years back with even a female red terror with zero issues. That's the beauty of the vieja species is that they seem to do well with other fish. I'm mean ya I'm sure you're going to have your one or two trouble makers, but you can always remove them. Here's a video of my community tank.

I have seen many mixed ca community tanks as well, but have seen very few that have lasted more then a few years, only the ones in +400 gal seem to make it long term I would also point out there's alot of split fins in the video you showed so there is some aggression in there. If you want to go ahead and do this type of tank then it's up to you and all the best to you. Just imo (for what it's worth) you will lose some of the personality of the fish

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
I have seen many mixed ca community tanks as well, but have seen very few that have lasted more then a few years, only the ones in +400 gal seem to make it long term I would also point out there's alot of split fins in the video you showed so there is some aggression in there. If you want to go ahead and do this type of tank then it's up to you and all the best to you. Just imo (for what it's worth) you will lose some of the personality of the fish
Ya I totally understand what you mean. The fish with the split fins were fish I had recently acquired from a guy which was a big reason I was getting rid of them but I never noticed any aggression in that tank. But the more I think about it, I think just having a nice pair in the tank would be the most pleasing. I have always wanted to create a very realistic looking tank too so maybe just throwing a pair of them would be pretty awesome then I can just move and try to sell the fry.

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
I currently have 5 melanura growing out together to hopefully I can get a pair out of that bunch. I'll just have to do without the black belts. Oh well.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
I think the real beauty of vieja sp, is they mostly ignore small tank mates that they don't consider competition,

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
That's also good to know. I was thinking of adding 2 or 3 male sajica with whatever pair develops unless that would stir up issues with the pair having other fish in the tank with them

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
If you want a natural tank and are just keeping one pair of melanura, you could add other small cichlids that are found in the same waters.
Thorichthys would do well with them and you could have a decent sized group of them with your melanura. Meeki,pasionis and helleri can all be found with melanura in the wild.
Cryptoheros spilurus is another small cichlid that can be found with them.
Salvini are also located in the same areas as melanura.
Personally I like thorichthys and they do well in large tanks with melanura.
You could also add livebearers such as poecilla or xiphophorus.

Reactions: dan518
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store