Filter water agitation avoiding and air stone

Jakec96

Exodon
MFK Member
May 8, 2016
New Jersey
Hi everyone im new to this forum. I would appreciate if someone could help me out. My brother is starting a new aquarium in his room it's a 55 gallon tank, that is 4 feet long, and he is planning on putting 25 one inch demesoni in there. The tank is in his bedroom so he wants it to be as quiet as possible so he's trying to avoid using an airstone because the pumps are so loud so I was wondering if the filters we're using will create enough surface agitation to avoid using an air stone. He's using 2 aquaclear 70s 1 on each side of the tank. What do you guys think?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Hi everyone im new to this forum. I would appreciate if someone could help me out. My brother is starting a new aquarium in his room it's a 55 gallon tank, that is 4 feet long, and he is planning on putting 25 one inch demesoni in there. The tank is in his bedroom so he wants it to be as quiet as possible so he's trying to avoid using an airstone because the pumps are so loud so I was wondering if the filters we're using will create enough surface agitation to avoid using an air stone. He's using 2 aquaclear 70s 1 on each side of the tank. What do you guys think?
2x AC70 should be enough for 55G tank, he won't need any air stone but AC70 will create a lot of noises at night too.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
if you use canisters you can have the output just below the surface and pointed up. Not ideal but better than nothing. there are also quite air pumps available

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
which hob filter is the quietest?
I'm recently bought Aqueon QuietFlow™ Power Filter and it a lot quieter than AC70 but the AC70 mechanical filter part work better than Aqueon so it's a bit trade off for noises and performances. Anyway, he will get used with the noises for first few days, after that he won't even notice the filter running while he trying to sleep :p

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
I'm recently bought Aqueon QuietFlow™ Power Filter and it a lot quieter than AC70 but the AC70 mechanical filter part work better than Aqueon so it's a bit trade off for noises and performances. Anyway, he will get used with the noises for first few days, after that he won't even notice the filter running while he trying to sleep :p
I have an Aqueon quiet flow buzzing away making more noise than a AC70, a cheap tetra air pump, a large old 4 outlet airpump, and a 600gph pump feeding a gutted Emperor 400 combined! My experience differs from everyone whose posted so far. I find the Aquaclears to be far and away the best HOB filters.

Emperor is the loudest atleast eventually in my experience with all its moving parts and needless over engineered "features". I tore the bio wheels off to stop it from squealing.

The Quietflow was a huge let down. It's the newest of the bunch by a long shot and is super loud, doesn't allow easy use of diy media (uses proprietary replaceable filter inserts), and it had some LED on it to remind me that I am supossed to buy more of their products monthly....which I do not.

The Aquaclear in my experience is by far the most quiet, are very reliable, and they simply use a big old open tub for their filter cart that you can fill with scrubbies or whatever you want!

Your mileage may very but I think you have a get setup in terms of filters.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store