180 gallon SA/CA tank

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
In my experience texas cichlids can cause havoc in a community. The ones I have owned have always been very aggressive

slothz

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2016
Ive got a 180 setup with SA cichlids, I got severums and geophagus in it with a true parrot polleni menarambo and a few Aquiedins Diadima. I tried for a wide arrange of colors and I'm pretty satisfied.

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I find the Polleni and SA get on with each other quite well.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Man, just get a nice jag and put it in the 180. Add put what you want around it. You'll make mistakes, some fish won't work out and you'll bring 'em back to your LFS. That's what everybody on MFK did when they first started, and probably still does.

You have a tank that's just big enough to house the heavy hitters, so get some and watch 'em for a few--and get ready to be impressed. You can read what we say from now on, the only way you'll truly understand what a 14 inch Jag is like to other fish in a 180 gallon tank is to watch it for yourself :) You watch a Labiatus/Midevil get mature and aggressive, you'll be glad you did even if it doesn't work out.

Don't let anything get killed, but try it and see. Just have a plan if things get nasty--yours would be trade in with the LFS.

Tell us how it goes, we all love to hear fish stories.

THQ

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
This is my relatively peaceful CA/SA community 165G. Grown as juvies. Working well so far. A bit too well. They never fight = no action. If I had my time again I would probably not get the medium cichlids like EBA and FM, and just go with 3-4 large feistier fish like Jag, Festae,etc

AquStockImage.png 20161022_171807.jpg

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Working well so far. A bit too well. They never fight = no action.
Play the game for more than you can afford to lose… only then will you learn the game. – Winston Churchill

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go. – T. S. Eliot

Without the element of uncertainty—the bringing off of even—the greatest triumph would be dull, routine, and eminently unsatisfying. – J. Paul Getty

I'd throw the ultimate quote on risk from Teddy Roosevelt in here, too, but it's pretty long. :)

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Play the game for more than you can afford to lose… only then will you learn the game. – Winston Churchill

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go. – T. S. Eliot

Without the element of uncertainty—the bringing off of even—the greatest triumph would be dull, routine, and eminently unsatisfying. – J. Paul Getty

I'd throw the ultimate quote on risk from Teddy Roosevelt in here, too, but it's pretty long. :)
I love this. The risk does make it more exciting and you will learn more. I have a 90 gallon grow out tank with an A. Sagittae, A. Labiatus, V. Melanura var. Synspila, V. Breidohri, V. Bifasciatus, a Queen Rose and two V. Maculicauda. Oh and a real tiny Mesoheros Festae. I knew it would be a risk combining all of these aggressive species, they're just juveniles, but I know any one of them could flip at any moment. They actually all get on fine together-better than my SA's and I know I'll be getting them a nice 300g when I move into my new house. But there's always that element of uncertainty which is very exciting. Especially with the Labiatus whom I don't have much community hope for lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store