Angler/Frogfish fish

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Not much personal experience, and I don't have any long-term experience, but I highly doubt it'd live as well in fresh compared to brackish; I have heard that they can live pretty well in full fresh for at least a year or two, but then again I wasn't able to find much to back it up and nearly everyone I know that has kept this species kept it in brackish. I personally think that it wouldn't be worth gambling the life of a ~$150+ fish on whether it can live in fresh or not, but that's just my opinion.

jmanrow

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2018
Sherwood, Oregon
Hi friends anyone with experience with the brackish water angler and can I transition one to 100% freshwater and will it live well?
Thanks
From all that I have read, they will enter into freshwater areas in nature, but if you want them to thrive there must be some rain salt present in the water. I would suggest a specific gravity of 1.005, which is very low end brackish, and many freshwater plants and fish will tolerate this salinity. I have ordered a Antennarius biocellatus, which is an estuarian fish. There is a difference between living in freshwater, and really thriving. The same can be said for "freshwater" Moray eels. There are true freshwater pipefish, that do not require any amount of salt at all.

Reactions: amazontank

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
From all that I have read, they will enter into freshwater areas in nature, but if you want them to thrive there must be some rain salt present in the water. I would suggest a specific gravity of 1.005, which is very low end brackish, and many freshwater plants and fish will tolerate this salinity. I have ordered a Antennarius biocellatus, which is an estuarian fish. There is a difference between living in freshwater, and really thriving. The same can be said for "freshwater" Moray eels. There are true freshwater pipefish, that do not require any amount of salt at all.
That's totally awesome! Anglers are some of my favorite fishes. Might just get a saltwater tank & get a giant black angler to get it out of my system haha!

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store