My first spawn of African pike characin (Hepsetus odoe)

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
As far as I know this fish was only bred twice before. I just asked the guy who probably bred them first. He never encountered such behaviour but he also never tried anything like this.
Cool experiment.
You spoke with Bernd?

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
No, with Sascha. Now is the question who did it first.
Good question. I wasn’t aware of Sascha.
Bernd reported it December 2009. And even though his original post is no longer available, I did summarize it here at the time:

It would be really cool to hear Sascha‘s experiences, if you could share them.

Last edited:

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
Ok, Bernd did it first. I even read the original article but I couldn't place it in time in my memory.
I don't know when exactly Sasha bred them but he had an article in Amazonas Magazine in 2016 or so.

It's a shame that raubsalmler.de is not available anymore. So much knowledge lost

Reactions: HarleyK

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
It’s fascinating that a Characin can breed like labyrinth fish and provide bi parrental care of youngs. There are many convergent evolution of body shape across fish species, but convergent reproductive behavior of bubble nesting is rare, specially in Characin which typically scatter eggs, abandon and eat youngs. The babies are quite large, comparable to mouth brooding cichlid than labrinth bubble nesters. How large are the parents? Pike characin can reach 28 inch and your tank, 48x24x20 inch, hardly enough room for adult fish if they reach max size.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store