220 Gallon Reseal and Stocking Ideas

ArtfulPrune670

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2020
Hello Everyone! I acquired a used glass 220 gallon (72x24x29) aquarium that I'm debating what to do with. It will need to be resealed. I've resealed a pair of 90 gallon (48x24x24) aquariums in the past with no issues, but I can't find anywhere online where someone has had great success resealing tanks as big or bigger than the 220G, so I have two paths I've been playing around with.

Plan A: I currently have a 125 gallon (72x18x24) aquarium with 1 severum, 1 blue acara, 1 sailfin pleco, 4 geophagus sveni, and 6 silver dollars. Everyone is about 3-5 years old and close to full size.20230904_115444.jpg
I originally planned on upgrading everyone to the 220G but they seem comfortable in the 125G and I'm hesitant to fill the 220G all the way to the top due to head pressure/leaking concerns which is where plan B comes in.

Plan B: Turn the 220G into a heavily planted paludarium and only fill the tank about 2/3 with water and the remaining 1/3 being emergent plant growth. Stocking plans would be 8 Congo Tetras, 8 Denison Barbs, 8 Boesemani Rainbowfish, 8 Kuhli Loaches, 6 Golden Wonder Killifish, 1 Pearl Gourami, 6 Bamboo Shrimp, and 6 Whiptail Catfish.

What are everyone's thoughts? Thanks for reading!

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Resealing a 220 same process as any other reseal. Most of the job is prep work. Strip out old silicone seals COMPLETELY. Remove all traces, every little smudge of silicone before laying in your new silicone. I use a shavehook, razor blades, and a rag dabbed with acetone (not too much acetone that you penetrate the structural seams.)

I use painters tape to neatly tape off the seals. For $7 a roll and a few minutes of work this is well worth the result. Actually laying in the new silicone shouldnt take more than 10 minutes. I would let it cure at least a week but probably two just to be safe.

ArtfulPrune670

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2020
Resealing a 220 same process as any other reseal. Most of the job is prep work. Strip out old silicone seals COMPLETELY. Remove all traces, every little smudge of silicone before laying in your new silicone. I use a shavehook, razor blades, and a rag dabbed with acetone (not too much acetone that you penetrate the structural seams.)

I use painters tape to neatly tape off the seals. For $7 a roll and a few minutes of work this is well worth the result. Actually laying in the new silicone shouldnt take more than 10 minutes. I would let it cure at least a week but probably two just to be safe.
Thanks for the input. That's basically the exact process I used to reseal the pair of 90 gallon tanks. What are your opinions on my stocking? Does it seem overstocked at all? Would you personally go with Plan A or Plan B?

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Regarding the reseal... as Backfromthedead Backfromthedead suggested.
Like yourself, I have only resealed smaller tanks as well (largest a 125g), and it is a bit of work but not a big deal. Doing the 220 would just take longer in the cleaning and prepping but should not be too bad. I have only done reseals, not taking the panels completely apart.

Regarding stocking - That is a matter of perspective and different people will be quite apart in their views. I have a 125g planted with 7 adult Metynnis silver dollars (size range 3.5-5"), and a few cories (8+, as they are breeding). I consider the tank fully stocked and change 70-80% of the water every week. In a 220g I could envision a few more fish but in a 125g, I would only add a few rummynoses if at all. Thus, from my perspective, your 125g tank is already somewhere between fully stocked and overstocked, depending in your maintenance routine.
The 220 will be an awesome upgrade. Lucky you and good luck!
IMG_0856 crop.jpg

ArtfulPrune670

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2020
Regarding the reseal... as Backfromthedead Backfromthedead suggested.
Like yourself, I have only resealed smaller tanks as well (largest a 125g), and it is a bit of work but not a big deal. Doing the 220 would just take longer in the cleaning and prepping but should not be too bad. I have only done reseals, not taking the panels completely apart.

Regarding stocking - That is a matter of perspective and different people will be quite apart in their views. I have a 125g planted with 7 adult Metynnis silver dollars (size range 3.5-5"), and a few cories (8+, as they are breeding). I consider the tank fully stocked and change 70-80% of the water every week. In a 220g I could envision a few more fish but in a 125g, I would only add a few rummynoses if at all. Thus, from my perspective, your 125g tank is already somewhere between fully stocked and overstocked, depending in your maintenance routine.
The 220 will be an awesome upgrade. Lucky you and good luck!
View attachment 1540547
Sounds good. Thanks for the input. You're tank looks great!

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Thanks for the input. That's basically the exact process I used to reseal the pair of 90 gallon tanks. What are your opinions on my stocking? Does it seem overstocked at all? Would you personally go with Plan A or Plan B?
I consider maintenance/water changing central to stocking rather than the tanks volume. I dont really use the term "overstocked", but rather say lightly or heavily stocked or somewhere in the middle. If you can keep your water clean and your fish healthy and well fed than i will always say your tank is large enough.

But yes, it always helps to have more water volume to work with. I would say your tank is "adequately" stocked with the fish youve listed. Shouldnt be difficult to keep water clean with a large water change once a week.

ArtfulPrune670

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2020
I consider maintenance/water changing central to stocking rather than the tanks volume. I dont really use the term "overstocked", but rather say lightly or heavily stocked or somewhere in the middle. If you can keep your water clean and your fish healthy and well fed than i will always say your tank is large enough.

But yes, it always helps to have more water volume to work with. I would say your tank is "adequately" stocked with the fish youve listed. Shouldnt be difficult to keep water clean with a large water change once a week.
That makes sense. Thanks.

ArtfulPrune670

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2020
Reseal the 220 empty the 125 and turn the 125 into a sump for the 220 then add your stock and the new guys to the 220
The 220 gallon is drilled with dual overflows, but I was planning on using a 75 gallon aquarium I have for the sump. This will be my first time setting up a sump, but it seems relatively straight forward. I'd like to keep the fish from Plan A and Plan B separate so that I can keep plants with the fish from Plan B. The fish from Plan A pretty much destroy any plants I've put in with them, including fake.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store