Can someone tell me which cichlid this is?

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
looks like a lyonsi to me as well. It very well could be. Myself and Dan at COTA both supply this fish(and trimac) to many of our wholesale accounts. My small trimac show the mark abouve the eye at a small size so to me that fish looks like lyonsi.
Whoops, I didn't read the first part, only saw the picture. The only person doing wholesale on fenestrata tmk is Dan. What else does Dan have? Nearly every amphilophus that has hit the market; including lyonsi, and he does randomly throw fish at his wholesale customers, I had to ID a rheoheros at a store in Tampa in January cuz they didn't know what it was either. By process of elimination and assuming what it is, it is probably like Kevin said, a lyonsi. I am not good on IDing baby amphilophus but the mouth does look pointier than the others, which I did notice in my lyonsi when I had them.

Had a similar mixup with the "myrnae" going around my local club. Septemfasciata from the limon population have been circulating around my club for nearly a decade as Rio Estrella myrnae. Both species look very similar, both were sold by Jeff Rapps in the early 2010s, and both I'm assuming, were bought by a guy in my club. Guy probably lost track of what was what, started selling them as myrnae. Thankfully for the most part they have stayed within the club to my knowledge, and have not been bred to actual myrnae from what I can see, but you can't expect everyone to be as nitpicky with details, and even then the ones who do slip up sometimes 😉
Cool, so maybe I'm not slipping in my old age. I saw the spots on the lateral line, red eyes and body coloration and lack of the head spot and thought Lyonsi. Hands down one of my favorite cichlids I've ever owned. IME not really aggressive and they get beautiful and impressive all while staying at a manageable size, not too big and not too small. I post this guy whenever I feel like I can stay within the threads subject. L Loupie If it is a Lyonsi this is what they can look like when they put on size.
IMG_2120.jpegIMG_2118.jpegIMG_2119.jpeg

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Cool, so maybe I'm not slipping in my old age. I saw the spots on the lateral line, red eyes and body coloration and lack of the head spot and thought Lyonsi. Hands down one of my favorite cichlids I've ever owned. IME not really aggressive and they get beautiful and impressive all while staying at a manageable size, not too big and not too small. I post this guy whenever I feel like I can stay within the threads subject. L Loupie If it is a Lyonsi this is what they can look like when they put on size.
View attachment 1540788View attachment 1540789View attachment 1540790
How "not too big/not too small" are we talking?

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
How "not too big/not too small" are we talking?
Okay, I'm not sure and maybe I'm being sensitive but it now seems like you're being nitpicky with my post. I said Lyonsi you said no, cool but when Kevin said Lyonsi you immediately 180'd quoted me but gave Kevin credit as though my initial ID didn't have any merit or was that what the whoops was meant to convey?

Now if I said in my opinion instead of in my experience would that be more acceptable? Or are you asking me adult size because you don't know and are genuinely curious? Or are you asking me about tank size?

Just trying to understand more clearly your question and intent. Again I reiterate perhaps I'm being sensitive but it just the question feels odd as though bait to try and prove my lack of knowledge.

But to answer the question on a assumption of no ill will and to aid the OP, online quotes put max size between 8-12 inches from what I've gleamed. And while I haven't kept hundreds to make a definitive max size I will state my male pictured was 12 inches and didn't seem to show signs of anymore growing. which I feel in my personal opinion is not too big/not too small. Large enough to be appreciated by someone wanting a fish larger than what's generlly found in a LFS but still capable of being housed by I believe a average MFK member. Do you see why your question feels weird?How exactly am I supposed to answer when it's obvious it's my opinion? Do I make an argument for my statement? Again sorry, just feels weird.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Or are you asking me adult size because you don't know and are genuinely curious?
This
And I never meant any offense in any of my messages

Loupie

Feeder Fish
Apr 23, 2024
View attachment 1540788View attachment 1540789View attachment 1540790
Thank you, I have to say that the lyonsi is a beautiful fish 😊 Honestly it makes me wonder if the other fish that we got in the same order are actually what we ordered. 😅 We ordered 2 regular fenestrata (turns out only 1 regular and 1 lyonsi) and 5 fenestrata blue marble. (atm only one is marble) We are thinking that they are fenestrata catemaco or can they still turn out marble? They were barely one inch when we got them and didn't show any color yet.

Screenshot_20240424_203732.jpg

IMG_20240424_171853.jpg

Reactions: koltsixx

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Thank you, I have to say that the lyonsi is a beautiful fish 😊 Honestly it makes me wonder if the other fish that we got in the same order are actually what we ordered. 😅 We ordered 2 regular fenestrata (turns out only 1 regular and 1 lyonsi) and 5 fenestrata blue marble. (atm only one is marble) We are thinking that they are fenestrata catemaco or can they still turn out marble? They were barely one inch when we got them and didn't show any color yet.
I hope it's a Lyonsi, it's my best guess but I could definitely be wrong. The Viejas I couldn't help you with, as juvies they all look the same to me. To me they start becoming distinguishable between 4-6 inches. I also haven't had experience with Fenestrata. In the past I've kept Zonata, Hartwegi, Argentus and Regani(which are now classified as Maskaheros) and Melanurus(back then the variant I had was considered Synspila) and I had to take the sellers word as shoot if I could tell. 😂 As they put on size it was easy to confirm the species though. How big are they now?

Loupie

Feeder Fish
Apr 23, 2024
I hope it's a Lyonsi, it's my best guess but I could definitely be wrong. The Viejas I couldn't help you with, as juvies they all look the same to me. To me they start becoming distinguishable between 4-6 inches. I also haven't had experience with Fenestrata. In the past I've kept Zonata, Hartwegi, Argentus and Regani(which are now classified as Maskaheros) and Melanurus(back then the variant I had was considered Synspila) and I had to take the sellers word as shoot if I could tell. 😂 As they put on size it was easy to confirm the species though. How big are they now?
They are still really small around 1,5 inch or 4 cm. Patience is a gift when it comes to these fish 😊 there isn't alot of info about fenestrata cichlids online compared to the info on other cichlids. With our other fishes it was always very obvious what they would become.

Reactions: koltsixx

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I kept V fenestrata years ago (before I started using a camera), they don't start to color up until about 5", and then they are a blaze in red color (depending on the variant).
I had the standard red type.
Omnivores that eat everything from fruit, to veggies, to snails, to small fish, but not really adept at predation.
They can be quite aggressive, and territorial and need a minimum 6 ft tank tolerate other "cichlid" tank mates.
I had 6 that maxed out 125 gal, just themselves.
After keeping other, similar species, I find anything written about V. zonata, or guttalatta, applies to fenestratus.
Mine easily hit 10", and appreciated some current.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey and Loupie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store