Wide temperature range ideas

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Just looking for ideas for a fish or fishes that gets to be 3-4” or so that can tolerate lows in the 40s and highs in the 80s and is interesting to watch from the top down

I’m also looking for nontoxic plants that can handle this range that can have their roots submerged and grow out of the top.
Thanks for any ideas

Reactions: tlindsey

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Rosy Reds.

As tame and visible as Goldfish, as active as Danios, as easy to breed as Guppies, as interesting as Cichlids, survive easily under thick ice as long as it doesn't freeze solid to the bottom.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Rosy Reds.

As tame and visible as Goldfish, as active as Danios, as easy to breed as Guppies, as interesting as Cichlids, survive easily under thick ice as long as it doesn't freeze solid to the bottom.
Very underrated fish. I kept a tankful of these at one point and always regretted trying to cohab them with my big oscars.

Reactions: jjohnwm

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Most fish from Uruguay are able to tolerate very wide swings, everything from Plecos, and Tetras, to Cichlids, but.....
when kept outside, and seen from above, their wild coloration does more to cammoflauge them, than provide interest.
[/URL]
Above are Australoheros in my pond in Milwaukee
Below, left Gymogeophagus from above, right from the side
[/URL]
Below another Gymno species left in the pond, right from the side
[/URL]

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Thanks for the fish ideas! I’ll check these out.
Does anyone have any plant ideas?

Reactions: tlindsey

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Rosy Reds.

After doing some research on the suggested fish, it looks like the Rosie reds are the winner, after I figure out the plants I’m gonna go with I’ll grab this thing and get it going
Thanks for the idea!

Reactions: Milingu and jjohnwm
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store