New to Piranah

Steel-Type-Thread

Feeder Fish
May 3, 2024
Hey guys so I am looking into getting a red belly piranah, so my setup is 2ft by 4ft by 28 inches tall, I am working on setting up a heavily planted tank with a neocardinas clean up crew. I am putting in a 3 inch substrate with driftwood. The canister filter I am getting cycles 265 gallons per hour, I plan on using maxivore and ciclid pellets as a staple diet. Does this sound good for his lifetime after a good cycling or should I rethink? I am nervous as I want to do right by my new pet.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Welcome to the forum!
I wouldn’t waste time with live plants or neocardina - the piranha will eat both. Mine would even eat plastic plants.
The 4 foot isn’t ideal for a 12 inch fish, but at the same time they aren’t active and the 2 foot width helps make up for it.
That will be good food - I fed mine the floating carnivore sticks and it loved them.

Steel-Type-Thread

Feeder Fish
May 3, 2024
Alright so if it won't thrive in the 4 foot tank than I should look for other fish that would do better, thank you I have been finding some conflicting information with size, lifespan, diet, and tank footprint everywhere on the internet. So i appreciate the straight answer

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
When I did keep mine it was in a 55 gallon (not my best days in fishkeeping). When it died, I’m pretty sure it got scared and hit its head on the glass (based on where I found it and overall body condition).
I really appreciate you putting the fish first - so many people ask for far more unreasonable tanks and can’t understand what no means. Especially piranhas - too many people keep them as mindless killers without appreciating them for the amazing fish they are.
If you are looking for a predatory characin, I would look at:
Smaller serrasalmus piranhas
Red or gold wolf fish
Exodon tetras

Reactions: tlindsey

Steel-Type-Thread

Feeder Fish
May 3, 2024
How I really came into them is there was one at the local store I go to with one eye that just kinda became my buddy for like two months, he would come up to me every time I went. I did research and ended up really liking what I was hearing about the personality. I really like fish that for a lack of better phrasing do nothing. The feeding part of the piranahs are cool but it's the other aspects I really like. I am more interested in the other behaviors of it. Sorry for the long reply

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey guys so I am looking into getting a red belly piranah, so my setup is 2ft by 4ft by 28 inches tall, I am working on setting up a heavily planted tank with a neocardinas clean up crew. I am putting in a 3 inch substrate with driftwood. The canister filter I am getting cycles 265 gallons per hour, I plan on using maxivore and ciclid pellets as a staple diet. Does this sound good for his lifetime after a good cycling or should I rethink? I am nervous as I want to do right by my new pet.
Welcome aboard

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
How I really came into them is there was one at the local store I go to with one eye that just kinda became my buddy for like two months, he would come up to me every time I went. I did research and ended up really liking what I was hearing about the personality. I really like fish that for a lack of better phrasing do nothing. The feeding part of the piranahs are cool but it's the other aspects I really like. I am more interested in the other behaviors of it. Sorry for the long reply
If he’s still there, I see no problem going for it. Not the most active fish so a 4 foot isn’t a huge issue.
I really have never heard of that behavior from a piranha - most are more skittish.
Just to be sure, are you certain it’s not a pacu (those are much more famous for their interactive behavior)?

Steel-Type-Thread

Feeder Fish
May 3, 2024
If he’s still there, I see no problem going for it. Not the most active fish so a 4 foot isn’t a huge issue.
I really have never heard of that behavior from a piranha - most are more skittish.
Just to be sure, are you certain it’s not a pacu (those are much more famous for their interactive behavior)?
Oh I'm very sure he was a full adult brought in with his tankmates, he was a red belly 100 percent.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store