Marathon battle with flashing

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I agree with FINWIN FINWIN , it's displaying to another, body language. If it's happening for a brief period, it's normal.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Sometimes fish will do that to show dominance or, "that's my spot". It's often done right in front of another fish as a display.
I have had this in newly set up tanks where pecking order is being established. Loaches and fronts will do this until they are satisfied. Don't change much during this period and check no single fish is getting bullied to the point health is affected.

Having said that, those fronts are definitely going at and the smaller fella may need some help. With fish like this, I tend to build larger, quite a bit more than you have currently, line of site breaks. So should a fish swim around the rock pile, it essentially disappears. If the chaser can see any part of the chasee, the chase is on. Give each fish a nice large pile with covered areas to chill in. They will come into the open more confidently when able to retreat to safety at will.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
S snake_charmer the latest video shows more of the behavior but I still don't think it is excessive.

Are you using any other products or chemicals besides a water conditioner? Any buffers whether commercial or home made? Plant fertilizers?

Have you ever checked your pH, GH or KH and if so, post the results.

snake_charmer

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2006
Michigan
S snake_charmer the latest video shows more of the behavior but I still don't think it is excessive.

Are you using any other products or chemicals besides a water conditioner? Any buffers whether commercial or home made? Plant fertilizers?

Deeda,

I only use Prime during the water changes to condition the water. The only thing close to ferts that I started to use in the last month are root tabs by API and the flashing has been going on for 24 months prior to this, so it kind of rules out that variable. I’ll try to grab a water sample test in the next day or so here. I did a couple water changes (25%) this week and also replaced the filter floss at the bottom of each AC110. I appreciate you consistently chiming in to help.

Reactions: deeda

snake_charmer

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2006
Michigan

from todays test prior to a 25% water change ph: 7.6-7.8
Nitrate: 15ppm
Gh/Kh: 60ppm/40ppm (had to use test strips and the bottle appears to be well past the expiration date, so I may need to find a more accurate and current testing method for this).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store