My 20G Long Heavily Planted

sho92mtx

Feeder Fish
Jul 18, 2010
CT
Hey guys, been lurking for awhile and decided to snap some shots of my 20G long tonight! I've been keeping fish for a long time, and I have had this planted tank setup for over a year. Before anyone asks, yes it is a ton of light, and yes it works for me! ;) The lights and C02 turn on around 3:00PM in the afternoon, and turn off around 9:00PM at night, at which point I have the blue LED's kick on for a half an hour, which is a nice aesthetic in the evening. I will try to be as complete as I can with the specs. I figured the pics would give some nice ideas for anyone that was thinking about doing a smaller planted setup with C02. Hope you guys enjoy the pics! :naughty:

20G Long

Substrate - Pool Filter Sand

Filtration - Rena XP3 & XP1 with inlets/outflow at either end of the tank

Lighting - 30 Inch AquaticLife (4x24 Watt AquaticLife T5 HO Lights/w lunar LED's)

C02 - GLA CO2 Regulator / GLA Atomic Diffuser / CAL AQUA "Oracle" Drop Checker

Hardware - Aube by Honeywell TI062/U Plug-in Timer / 50W Heater

Ferts - Pfertz Liquid N/P/K/M

Fauna - Giant Danios / Penguin Tetras / Upside Down Catfish / Hoplo Catfish / Algae Eaters / Horse Face Loaches

Flora - Anubias Nana / Spiralis / Micro Sword / Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red / Java Moss attached to Mopani Wood
(Please feel free to add/correct this list because I honestly don't know all the names and I know I am missing a few!)

IMG_4670.JPGIMG_4672.JPGIMG_4673.JPGIMG_4676.JPGIMG_4678.JPGIMG_4681.JPGIMG_4682.JPGIMG_4683.JPGIMG_4686.JPGIMG_4688.JPGIMG_4689.JPGIMG_4690.JPGIMG_4691.JPGIMG_4692.JPGIMG_4693.JPGIMG_4694.JPG

IMG_4670.JPG

IMG_4672.JPG

IMG_4673.JPG

IMG_4676.JPG

IMG_4678.JPG

IMG_4681.JPG

IMG_4682.JPG

IMG_4683.JPG

IMG_4686.JPG

IMG_4688.JPG

IMG_4689.JPG

IMG_4690.JPG

IMG_4691.JPG

IMG_4692.JPG

IMG_4693.JPG

IMG_4694.JPG

ocellatus

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2006
Canada
Great looking tank. Thinking about setting up a planted tank with pool filter sand substrate, how do you like it? Any need to use root tabs?

O

sho92mtx

Feeder Fish
Jul 18, 2010
CT
Great looking tank. Thinking about setting up a planted tank with pool filter sand substrate, how do you like it? Any need to use root tabs?

O
Thanks ocellatus! I have used regular play sand in the past, and my problem with that was the fact that the grains were so fine, and also the silt. Since my inlets are pretty close to the substrate, I would always get sand in the filters. I like the pool filter sand much better because it is a bigger grain, and also sinks right back down if you stir it up. I tried using root tabs as well, but they always seemed to just kind of fall apart in the spot I put them in after a few weeks, and made the water kind of dirty. I have stuck to only my Pferz and have not seen any negative effects since. The plants grow like crazy, and require trimming almost every other weekend.

cpm6t

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2011
Sri Lanka
Hi Very nice setup. I have few questions too.
1. What is the depth of the substrate?
2. I'm trying to grow some plants in my 220g (sand substrate). due to the tank volume, liquid fertilizer is out of the question for me, isn't it? (I mean, those are to be applied according to the size of the tank, so even for few plants I'll have to put in a lot due to my tank size?). Then I'll have to go with root tabs, correct?

Thanks for the great info and pictures.

jeremoose

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Canada
Forget root tabs and liquid fertilizers! Search "dry fertilizers for planted aquarium". Dosing dry ferts is much MUCH cheaper than using liquid aquarium ferts or root tabs with the same (often better) results since you can balance individual nutrients.

sho92mtx

Feeder Fish
Jul 18, 2010
CT
Thanks! The substrate is about 2 inches or so in depth, but that changes as the loaches and water flow move it around. With a tank size of 220g, I completely agree with jeremoose about *not* using liquid ferts, and going with dosing dry fertilizer. For my needs though, and my 20g, I much prefer my liquid ferts. Each bottle lasts several months for me, and 1 pump of each daily works well for the tank size, and quick dosing.

Hi Very nice setup. I have few questions too.
1. What is the depth of the substrate?
2. I'm trying to grow some plants in my 220g (sand substrate). due to the tank volume, liquid fertilizer is out of the question for me, isn't it? (I mean, those are to be applied according to the size of the tank, so even for few plants I'll have to put in a lot due to my tank size?). Then I'll have to go with root tabs, correct?

Thanks for the great info and pictures.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store