arapaima breeding

onlybigfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
Costa Rica
Has anyone ever bred arapaima in captivity???
I own 5 6 inch arapaima and will have them in aquariums until the grow.
Then i will have then in a large 40 meter by 20 meter pond with lots of wild fish for them to eat.

How long before the breed in the wild??

icecube

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2007
INDIA
Arapiamas are just like the arowanas.They are mouth brooders.The male will carry the fry in its mouth until they hatch.They mature after 2 years of age.

cichlaguapote

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Pripyat, Ukraine
pm Apistogramma Master, he breeds them in peru and may have some tips for you.

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
icecube;1615601; said:
Arapiamas are just like the arowanas.They are mouth brooders.The male will carry the fry in its mouth until they hatch.They mature after 2 years of age.
umm, the males dig a nest in the sandy substrate and watches over it :screwy:

he then develops a sticky membrane on his head that the young feed off of. I think that in a pond that big you will be successful

armac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2005
South Texas
I would contact somebody who has bred them, you are getting a lot of regurgitated information so far.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Onion01;1615912; said:
umm, the males dig a nest in the sandy substrate and watches over it :screwy:

he then develops a sticky membrane on his head that the young feed off of. I think that in a pond that big you will be successful

This is correct info. The arapaima is very much like the discus in the aspect of a male producing "milk" for the fry to feed off of.

The biggest kicker is getting a group to them that is mixed and not related. Chances are if you bought a few at the same time, they are brothers and sisters - not good breeding stock at all.
The breeding behavior I saw with my group awhile back was after a temp swing in the water. Males started making nests, and pursuing the largest female (and only one female). These things don't reach sexual maturity until at least 8 feet or so... with (from what I've seen) females being larger than males. Males might start a little sooner. You'll want mixed areas of substrate ranging from sand to small rock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store