my fish arent as active anymore

jagsandpits

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
NewYork
I feed my fish very generously and am on a solid wc schedule, I feel like they r not as active as they used to be they just lurk around all lethargic, thers nothing legitimately wrong with them but they just seem to be lazy and overly chill. I feed them like 3 times a day generously could I be making them fat or something?

Ruck Fules

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Garage
I try to avoid feeding at night and only feed at the most, twice daily. I don't feed before or after a water change. Most of my cichlids are almost full grown and still beg for food and very active.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Sounds like they need change. Put them in a bucket and change around decor.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
i argee that 3 feedings is too much.i skip one day a week,fasting.as long as you don't have any really young fish.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I also feed my adult cichlids at most, twice per day but more often once, and fast 1 day, sometimes twice per week, especially the carnivores.(fry and juvies are a different story)
When I have watched cichlids in nature, such as jack dempseys and uropthalmus in Mexico, other than grazing on algae, they seem to miss their prey at least 9 out of 10 times. In our aquaria, they never miss food.
Other than grazing on whatever algae or anything that is growing in my tanks, I believe it is much healthier to underfeed, than to overfeed.

jagsandpits

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
NewYork
so im gonna cut down on feeding twice a day like 3 pellets each time, and a fast day once aweek, im just considering this cuz if you think about it they aren't moving like they would in the wild so why stuff them with foodits gonna make them fat and mooky looking. time to cut down especially noticing my 6 inch jag being a slow ass fish now it seems like hes just overly relaxed

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I feed once a day every day,but something different every day so they do not get board of the same old thing and it varies diet with protein and veggie so they dont get stuffed up

Adamson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
Switzerland
I feed mine once every 2-3 days. And when I feed them they only get one massivore pellet each (sometimes two). I believer this helps keep their natural look. I find the fish are also more active when hungry. I am also doing myself a favor because less food=less nitrates=better water=better growth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store