real or artificial driftwood? fake or live plants?

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
:confused:ok well for my 125 should i do real driftwood and sell the 2 small pieces of artificial driftwood i have or use more artificial driftwood? thnx, also live or fake plants too? the tank will have semi peacefull ca cichlids(firemoutsh, jack dempseys sajicas, ornate pim catfish, etc) thnx:confused:

sweeed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2009
AZ
I absolutely hate fake crap. I say get some real wood and real plants. Get some java fern and jave moss or something that is really easy to keep.

Morledzep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
where my cichla are
i choose not to use plastic plants, i had a stupid catfish that ate some and they tore a hole in his belly to get out. he survived that, but he didn't survive eating rocks..

i like silk plants though, they are anchored better and are more realistic looking and acting. even the plecos like the silk plants, they can eat the stuff that grows on them and they don't damage the plant.

otherwise, i prefer everything to be real, driftwood, plants and everything..

Zander_The_RBP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
aclockworkorange;4445540; said:
Real driftwood. Real plants. Period.
agreed

i used to use fake plants and let me tell you as soon as i switched to live ones the tank started to look 100x better even with less overall plant coverage it still looked better.

driftwood shouldn't even be a question real all the way. The fake stuff looks.... well..... fake, enough said.

Troutfishr

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2009
middle of nowhere
i would go real driftwood, take your time and find some nice pieces (preferably pre-treated because its a pain in the butt)

i like fake plants just my opinion but never experimented with real ones.

Troutfishr

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2009
middle of nowhere
i think i uploaded pics- the first pic is my tank some driftwood river rocks and fake plants (most people gona hate them bright green plants but i like em)

second pic is my brothers tank with some nice driftwood and aged plastic plants

1.JPG

3.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store