Suggestions for my DYI modification to a comm 3D BG

00rollins

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2011
Strong Island ,NY
Ive been led to believe by by a few long term hobbiests that darker background and substrate will not only create more contrast against colorful cichlids but also increase the cichlids coloration.

I have found contrasting opinions in some threads here on mfk were it was claimed cichlids would become lighter increasing coloration in lighter substrate.

I personally have no substrate in some tanks and dark in others. My fish look great but was ibnterested in this topic, as i am currently modifying a 3d background to fit my 155 bowfront.

The bg was 4" to short for my tank i built a lift for it that will match the substrate and be undetectable.
I coated it with black sand and was gonna use black sand for substrate now that im done im thinking of recoating in natural sand depending on the effect it will have on my fish. I am on the fence as i would alway take advantage of a way to improve coloration to the fish. Any opinions and expierience welcome on this topic and please feel free to post some pics.

I will make a complete build thread on my mod with pics galore once im done here is acurrent pic P2252634.JPG

P2252634.JPG

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
I have heard that darker makes the fish intensify its coloration. I have had both light and dark substrate and prefer the look of dark but hate the way it shows EVERYTHING short of black fish poo....the fish did show a little more brilliant I think, but it was negligible. I say put what you are going to want to look at day after day. I really don't think the fish care one way or another.
The background is coming along sweet.

00rollins

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2011
Strong Island ,NY
I have heard that darker makes the fish intensify its coloration. I have had both light and dark substrate and prefer the look of dark but hate the way it shows EVERYTHING short of black fish poo....the fish did show a little more brilliant I think, but it was negligible. I say put what you are going to want to look at day after day. I really don't think the fish care one way or another.
The background is coming along sweet.
Thanks, im kinda indisicive. Originaly wanted blk with petrified wood i have to tie in the bg, but im thinking i want it more natural. I put alot of work into the modification, but i dont wanna regret it in the long run

Sent from my GT-P7510 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

00rollins

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2011
Strong Island ,NY
Slightly better pic of the retaining wall built to match the bg and give it the 4" lift. When looking thru the front of the glass it appears the rocks are holding up the black sand on each side and gradually flows down the middle to tie in the bottom substrate that will be addeduploadfromtaptalk1333939021709.jpg

00rollins

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2011
Strong Island ,NY
This is the front one possability

If you click this it will get bigger ots the best picuploadfromtaptalk1333940251524.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store