Need help w/ Leopard Gecko..

blonde.for.life

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2009
findlay, ohio
Last Tues. i picked up 2 Leos. I was told they are both male and were kept in the same tank by the previous owner. At first they both seemed fine but only one would eat and i just figured the other one needed to settle in. Then i thought one might be harrassing the other since he still wasnt eating so i put them in a divided tank over the weekend where they cant see each other. The one is still eating like a pig while it took until monday to get the other to eat like 5 mealworms as ive found he wont eat the crickets ive been trying to give him. What could be going on here? One of them is eating and active and seems fine while the other was active the first day and now never comes out of his cave and has only eaten 7 mealworms total since ive had him. He also dropped at least 1gram which is generally not a good sign. Heres the set up..the tank is at least a 30gal. divided in the middle w/ a red heat light that hangs in the middle and hits both sides of the tank. They each have a hide and a water bowl and a piece of slate under the heat light (previous owner was using a heat rock) and theyre on paper towels. I thought since they were new a simple set up would be better for now. I was told they were between 1 and 3 years old w/ the active one being the oldest. Under the heat light ranges from 90 to 94 while the cool side is 74 (using a PE2 temp gun)..
So what should i be doing here...?

felix453

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
new york
I'd try some waxworms just to get some fat on the one that isn't eating well, very few herps can resist them.

Jared T

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2012
New York
My Leo doesn't really like crickets eaither. What I do is had feed mine or place the mealworms directly in front of him and he sees them moving and can't resist. If you need to faten him up try seing ( if he is big enough) if he will eat a pinky mouse.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

blonde.for.life

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2009
findlay, ohio
ok i just went and checked his weight and length..65grams and almost 9"..Im gonna post a pic i just took..he seems pretty fat..heres whats odd now.. when i brought him home last week he was 62 grams, on monday he was 61grams..how can he be 65grams now without really eating? How do i know if this is even a boy? Is misting ok w/ leos? I mist my beardie but havent read anything about misting a gecko..he looks almost ready to shed..

blonde.for.life

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2009
findlay, ohio
Well with a little research and upon further inspection i believe that both of my geckos are in fact female. There was a 3rd gecko in with them up until i got them which supposedly was male too but was larger than both of the ones i took so im wondering if this one could be pregnant..

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
It looks like it could be a female. If it's gravid you will be able to see eggs through the slightly transparent skin on the belly. You should see a pair of whitish ovals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store