Calophysus macropterus (Vulture Catfish) Questions

Combatshock

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
CT
There are a few write-ups on these guys that peg them as being able and willing to take clean chunks out of just about any fish, they're super aggressive, so on and so forth. Hence the nickname of the "machete" catfish.

Actual hands on owner experience says otherwise, from MFK members in old threads to plenty of other forums. Most report that they've never given any fish any problems and in more then one instance they actually get picked at constantly by other catfish, like Tigs.

So, any thoughts from anyone here on the Catfish forum? I'm considering getting one but I'm not sure if I should trust it in a community.

elindra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Singapore
I have 2 of them. Basically they stick together and mind their own business
Both gets picked on by my similar sized Aguarunichthys torosus aka Bolt Cat/Jelloband Cat
Very greedy when it comes to feeding though. They absolutely love mp and mackerel (or any silvery strong smelling fish)

Combatshock

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
CT
Is there any truth to their "machete" moniker? As in are they capable of taking clean bites out of just about anything?

Have you ever seen them attack any of your other fish?

elindra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Singapore
Is there any truth to their "machete" moniker? As in are they capable of taking clean bites out of just about anything?

Have you ever seen them attack any of your other fish?
Like I said, I only seen them being picked on by other fish and not seen them display any aggressive behavior towards other fish

So far, the pieces of mp and fish I cut up for them are small enough for them to swallow so not seen any ”machete-like” kind of bites

Combatshock

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
CT
You've been a ton of help elindra. Thank you, very much.

Do you have any misc comments or thoughts on the fish for a potential owner of one?

elindra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Singapore
You've been a ton of help elindra. Thank you, very much.

Do you have any misc comments or thoughts on the fish for a potential owner of one?
Well, they are a pretty active cat and very cute especially when it comes to feeding.
They are extremely voracious and will stuff their faces till you see a round belly.

If you want to keep more than 1, buy them as a group young (ideally when they are less than 5 inch).
If you only keep one, you may have problems introducing more later.

Combatshock

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
CT
I guess you didn't read my post.

Take the snarky, typical internet pissing contest stuff elsewhere. Thanks much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store