HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

With just a few spare parts you, too, can convert your canister filter (needs to come standard with a drain valve, e.g. Eheim 2262 or 60) into the perfect friend for aquarium maintenance.

• Clean your filter without opening it - increase filter maintenance intervals (mine has been in operation for 10 months now without cleaning!!!)...
    ... and use that to get your gravel vac started:
  • No more hassle creating a siphon
  • No more connecting the Python to its flimsy faucet adapter
  • No more spills, buckets, or dragging around tubing
Save time and enjoy a functional maintenance system

To backflush: (comes standard)

This allows you to get rid of accumulated detritus in the filter pot, and it washes thru your media in reverse flow. Your filter outlet (e.g. spray bar) has to be completely under water

Simply open backflush valve (clear tubing allows you to monitor outflow of brown crap)
IMG_6997.JPG
Ignore T-splitter (one end closed)
IMG_6998.JPG
And drain into backyard (or where ever gravity leads you)
IMG_6999.JPG

To use siphon for gravel vac:

Even if you have a good waterchange regimen, detritus still accumulates in corners of your tank or gravel/sand. Many of us use a Python (or similar product) to get the party started. But the cumbersome adapter is annoying and more hassle than benefit - if you can do this:

Close valve on end of tubing in your backyard (or toilet, whatever)
Close backflush valve
IMG_7001.JPG
Connect tubing to T-splitter and open valve
IMG_7002.JPG
Connect your choice of 36'' gravel tube to tubing via Python connector (I use the thin pipe for spot-cleaning, the larger diameter tube for sand vac)
IMG_7003.JPG
And drain into backyard (or where ever gravity leads you)
IMG_7004.JPG

If you do not have enough suction (i.e. height difference between water level and end of tubing) to fill the gravel tube and continue the siphon, then I suggest the following:

• Close draining valve on end of tubing (in backyard)
  • Open backflush valve on canister
  • Open valve to gravel tube
  • Hold gravel tube with opening pointing up
  • Gravel tube will fill with water
  • When almost filled to the rim, cover the opening with your hand and transfer it - turning it upside down for use - into your tank
  • Then simply close the backflush valve and open the terminal drain valve.

This way I change about 50-75 gal on my 220 tank, first washing out the filter media, and then cleaning gravel in the same setting. The tubing is permanently set up and hidden under my cabinet. It's a matter of less than a minute to get started.

Beat that, Python :D

HarleyK

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
LOL. This one will qualify as most enthusiastically received thread ever :ROFL:

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Well I read it with great interest since I have the 2260, but was in a hurry & didn't respond. Thanks for posting your setup. Eventually I'll get around to doing it.

zebvance

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
College Station TX
SO wait to backflush does the filter have to be on? I have a 2260 and I want to try this!

ozzyboo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
Surrey-UK
Planning on something very similar on my new 210 build but will be modifying a 2028 and having drip change system that the vac can connect to, that will be plumbed into the house drainage.I have been thinking for sometime about some sort of back flush system for eheim canisters to reduce maintanance intervals.Going to try and drill an old 2222 canister and fit a 16mm bulkhead so that i can back flush the canister.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
zebvance;4566892; said:
SO wait to backflush does the filter have to be on? I have a 2260 and I want to try this!

The filter must be off to backflush.

duipo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
England
:clapVery Nice!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store