This deserves another journal...My 190g Wild Discus build!

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
foldem;5065802; said:
Extremely impressive setup man!!! Respect!
Thanks!

neoprodigy;5065924; said:
Thanks Li for updating the first post :)

ceeej31;5065939; said:
I didn't think this project could get any cooler. I was wrong.
Ha thanks man. I think I'm maxed out on cool ideas though :D

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Yup, I really got to dig up that PM where I predicted you would be going wild discus and getting a full on RO and drip system going. :D

Curious, what are your thoughts on discus and the use of RO water now? I've seen several discussions on the web where you have talked about keeping discus in hard, basic, alkaline tap water? Any changes in opinion?

That system is SICK btw...

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
jcardona said:
Right now the waste water is simply going down my laundry drain. A little wasteful, but I have nothing else I could use it for right now. Maybe I could use it for a planted tank in the near future.

And yeah, that's the main reason for not doing a 24/7 drip. If this tank was near an outside wall, I'd drill a tiny hole and just let the water drain outside. But it's smack-dab in the middle of the house. Can't really drain anywhere. Well I could, but it would involve a very complicated setup that would require an extra reservoir to catch the spill over, then a sump pump that would operate via a float switch to pump the water to a drain when the water level in the reservoir rises. Then I'd need a solenoid to shut off the drip line when the power goes out, since the sump pump wouldn't be working. THEN, I'd need a safety switch that would shut off the drip line in case the water level gets too high in the reservoir if the sump pump fails. Very complicated, and expensive. For now, a semi-automatic water changing system will have to do!
Ah, so basically your limitations on a full drip are similar to what limits my ability to take the end product of my full drip [as yet uncreated] and use it as an auto-fertilization/water system for the landscaping on our patio. I have the gravity and places to hide the drainage from the sump, but run into all those sump and solenoid related issues when getting into going back up from below-grade to where the plants will be.

As I recall, you did have a bit of room for gravity to work when things were in your garage with the 405. And you are running discreet but un-concealed small plumbing from this system to your 190 in the living room, right? Is there something preventing you from just letting the drain line run in that same place but ultimately out the garage? I guess the only way I'd fully understand this is if I had a floor plan of your place.

jcardona said:
Waste water is actually good water for any other tank really. Waste water is everything that gets rejected by the RO membrane, after it has passed through the sediment and chlorine/chloramine filters. So your waste water is really tap water free of chlorine/chloramines and sediment-filtered. Much better than straight tapwater
The learning continues. In this scenario, am I correct to assume that the waste water is actually harder than the tap? It has the solids from the tap plus the solids taken out of the RO/DI product, right? Or is that not how it works?

I wonder... instead of T-ing off the tap water to go through a chlor filter and an RO, then T-ing those outputs off into two drips... maybe I could just push RO/DI into the upstairs tank, keep heckels there, then let gravity take the runoff from the upstairs sump (at least 50% of the 120g a day) plus the waste from the RO, and then let a combination of that feed the sump of the [220/360/300/whatever I end up with]. So if the waste is higher TDS, the used RO would recombine with that to lower the TDS, which would support the wilds and geos in water that roughly approximates my current tap, which they're used to...

Hmm.....

TeChris

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2006
Orlando, FL
Awesome setup man, I need to get on level of fish keeping. Just out of curiosity why didn't you include a UV sterilizer?

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
top notch as usual. makes me want to re-set up my tank, but properly!

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
aclockworkorange;5066011; said:
Yup, I really got to dig up that PM where I predicted you would be going wild discus and getting a full on RO and drip system going. :D

Curious, what are your thoughts on discus and the use of RO water now? I've seen several discussions on the web where you have talked about keeping discus in hard, basic, alkaline tap water? Any changes in opinion?

That system is SICK btw...
LOL thanks. I think I do remember that discussion, and I said I'd never do it. Look at me now haha! As for RO water, you can keep discus in tap water, especially the domestics. But after seeing pics of how other people's wilds look in softer water, I had to give it a try. They're colors are amazing, while mine seem like they could be better.

Those folks are keeping them in very soft water, like GH of 3-4, and very low TDS levels. Plus, it's said that discus eggs won't hatch at GH levels higher than 8, before I started using RO/DI water I was getting a reading of 12 in the tank! That's considered very hard water, and surely can't be good for a fish whose osmoregulation depends on low levels of TDS. So far I've done two water changes using RO water. My GH has now gone from 12 down to 7. My goal is to keep it around 3, with TDS as low as possible. I have a digital TDS meter coming in the mail so I'll let you guys know what my TDS is now.

DaveB;5066164; said:
Ah, so basically your limitations on a full drip are similar to what limits my ability to take the end product of my full drip [as yet uncreated] and use it as an auto-fertilization/water system for the landscaping on our patio. I have the gravity and places to hide the drainage from the sump, but run into all those sump and solenoid related issues when getting into going back up from below-grade to where the plants will be.

As I recall, you did have a bit of room for gravity to work when things were in your garage with the 405. And you are running discreet but un-concealed small plumbing from this system to your 190 in the living room, right? Is there something preventing you from just letting the drain line run in that same place but ultimately out the garage? I guess the only way I'd fully understand this is if I had a floor plan of your place.

The learning continues. In this scenario, am I correct to assume that the waste water is actually harder than the tap? It has the solids from the tap plus the solids taken out of the RO/DI product, right? Or is that not how it works?

I wonder... instead of T-ing off the tap water to go through a chlor filter and an RO, then T-ing those outputs off into two drips... maybe I could just push RO/DI into the upstairs tank, keep heckels there, then let gravity take the runoff from the upstairs sump (at least 50% of the 120g a day) plus the waste from the RO, and then let a combination of that feed the sump of the [220/360/300/whatever I end up with]. So if the waste is higher TDS, the used RO would recombine with that to lower the TDS, which would support the wilds and geos in water that roughly approximates my current tap, which they're used to...

Hmm.....
Yeah the main issue is that this is a rental house. So everything I do can't be permanent. If this were my place, I'd drill through the walls. Right on the other side of the tank is a bathroom sink. So if I owned this place, I'd drill through the wall and tap into the sink's drain to dump the water. That would be the ideal setup. It's a little hard to explain how I have it all routed, so I'll get some new pics up showing the setup.

As for RO waste water, I don't think it would be higher in TDS than the tap, since a lot of stuff actually get's caught by the membrane. My system has a flush valve, that when I open it, I can flush off the face of the membrane with high pressure water. While flushing, I'm sure this waste water would have a higher concentration of TDS. I was reading on the NADA site that discus fry actually need a good level of TDS to develop, hence using waste water over pure RO water is preferred.

Yeah there's tons of options on how to use RO/DI water and the waste water. My main restrictions are that I don't own this place. Otherwise, I'd having several barrels in the garage with lines going in/out of the house through the walls. That would let me get a good mix of RO and waste water, plus give me a way to drain. Hopefully soon though :)

TeChris;5066462; said:
Awesome setup man, I need to get on level of fish keeping. Just out of curiosity why didn't you include a UV sterilizer?
Thanks! As for a UV, I don't know, just never thought they were needed for an aquarium. There is no substitute for clean water via regular water changes. On our koi pond, we have a UV light simply to control algae, and because you don't do water changes like you would on a tank. That is when a UV light is a must IMO. For fish tanks, I'm not yet convinced.

Dangerdoll;5066676; said:
unbelievable setup! What a stunning and breathtaking result!!
Thank you!

xander;5066992; said:
top notch as usual. makes me want to re-set up my tank, but properly!
Thanks man!

Monolicious;5069954; said:
Stunning set up
Thanks!

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
The group of Alenquers in their quarantine tank were quite spunky this morning, so I snapped a few pics before work. I actually gave these guys a water change using RO/DI water, so the GH is even lower in this tank than my main tank...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store